Chapter Five

'You can let go.' I pulled out of his grip so hard I almost lost my balance.

  It was hard to know where I was. We'd been driving for an hour in a car with blacked out windows. I had tried to keep track but my brain had given up. At least my clothes were bearable to wear now that they had dried.

  'I'll show you to your room.' He took my arm as I climbed out of the car.

  'Will you take your hands off me?' I shoved him in the chest.

  He tripped but managed to keep his feet. A giggle escaped from me. I couldn't help it. He growled, grabbed my arm and yanked me inside the house. Light music came from the speakers in the walls. It was classical. The sound hit me square in the chest. My father's favourite music had always bored me as a child, but now, it sent a lance of pain through my body.

  'I've not seen him for five years,' I said to no one in particular. 'I'm no longer a teenager.'

  'Only just.' The man snorted.

  'Antony! That's your name!' I blurted, finally remembering.

  The corners of his lips lifted slightly. He had told me his real name when I'd first met him. Had he known who I was back then? Why hadn't he tried to take me when he had the chance?

  'Did you enjoy your kiss with that man?' he asked, guiding me up the stairs.

  I stumbled as he pulled me to a door on the landing. What made him bring that up? I tried not to cringe as I remembered my first ever kiss. It hadn't been as romantic as the films had made it out to be. But then again, I had been stupid enough to kiss a stranger.

  'Yes, I did,' I said as he faced me.

  He smiled as he saw through the lie. His teeth were almost perfect. My teeth were slightly crooked. I had begged for braces when I was younger but for some reason, I never got them.

  'Here's your room.' He opened the door and pushed me inside.

  The door closed behind us as he followed me in. It was dark and cold. The curtains were drawn and the four-poster bed was unmade. Covers sat on the table in the corner, waiting to be put on the duvet.

  'I want to see my father. Surely I'm not a prisoner.'

  He stepped up to me. I had to bend my neck back to look into his eyes. I wanted to push him away. How dare he get in my personal space?

  'I'm afraid you'll be staying with us for a while. You father isn't here until tomorrow, so you'll have to put up with me for company.'

  My eyes widened as the smile on his lips started to fade. Our gazes locked and I couldn't look away. I swallowed hard when his throat moved.

  'Antony, do you have her?' someone called from the hallway.

  He cringed. I stepped back quickly, going to the curtains. His hand enveloped mine as I reached out to open them.

  'Yes, I'll be out in a moment,' he called back. 'Pisces...'

  Turning back, I tried to remove my hand. He wouldn't let go. The shadows danced around us as a draft blew the curtain, causing a shaft of sunlight to come into the room. He stepped forward as he looked down at me. My heart pumped into overdrive. I desperately wanted to push him away.

  'Did you really enjoy your first kiss?'

  My eyes dropped from his gaze and he released my hand. Shame overtook my muscles and I found that I couldn't move. He was mocking me, although I deserved it. In a really ridiculous roundabout way, he had saved me from making a huge mistake. I might have gone back to the other man's flat and done something I would have regretted.