Chapter Twelve

'Where have you been?'

His voice startled me as I wandered down the street. I wanted to walk home after my date. I needed time to be alone so I could think. Daniel had insisted that he drove me but I suggested he went back to London.

'Out with Dan,' I replied.

A part of me was annoyed that Antony had been following me but I was too happy to be bothered by it. However it was nice that my father cared enough to send him to keep an eye on me.

'Dan...? Did you have fun?' His words were stilted so I turned to him. He frowned suddenly and I faltered. What was wrong? Why had he reacted that way? 'Sorry. I didn't realise how into him you were,' he said.

We faced each other in the middle of the road. The streets were empty, which made a change from London traffic.

'I had a lovely time.' I sighed and started to walk again.

'How do you know he's safe to be around? Something about him makes me feel...'

As his sentence trailed off, I found myself longing to hear what he felt. I had never heard Antony express his emotions.

'What...?' I asked softly, not looking at him as he drew level with me.

'I'm not sure exactly. He doesn't seem genuine.'

My steps became faster as my emotional high came bouncing down around me. There was nothing more depressing than someone you care for putting a downer on you. Did I care for Antony? He was only my bodyguard after all. My chest tingled and I tried to rub the feeling away.

'I feel okay around him. I'm a pretty good judge of character,' I boasted, though I knew I was just protecting myself.

His laughter made me turn to look at him. We were outside the house gates but I didn't want to go in straight away.

'What...? I am!'

Shaking his head, he held up his hands as if he surrendered. His forehead wrinkled as he frowned. It made me want to reach out and smooth it. When I took a step towards him, he backed up. I was staring but didn't realise until he moved.

'Sorry,' I said, smiling. I must have seemed intense.

'You're such a contradiction,' he muttered, turning towards the house.

'What do you mean?'

He stopped but didn't look back at me. He stayed still for a moment before spinning and coming to me in three big steps. Stopping right in front of me, he looked into my eyes.

'One minute you're up and the next you're down. You're hot and then you're cold. You're giving and then you're withdrawing. It's confusing to be around. I don't know where I am with you, Pisces.'

The tone of his voice was harsh and I had to bite my lip. My defensive reaction wanted to be expressed but I stopped myself. What had the book said? Step back and allow the process of every emotion. Don't try to push it away, or react when someone pushes your buttons. I closed my eyes briefly and felt the words pierce me.

'I'm complex, I know that.'

I opened my eyes. His breath hit my face and I almost pulled back. I hadn't realised how close he was.

'You're more than complex and it confuses the hell out of me.'

Smiling was the only thing I could do as the old companionship returned. He reached up to stroke my cheek with a quick brush of his fingers.