Chapter Eighteen

I pounded on the door as my panting breath echoed around me. I had travelled on two trains to try and cover my tracks. Running from the station had been my only option. My neck was sore from constantly checking over my shoulder. It was the middle of the night. I saw a light switch on above and hoped they would hurry.

'Who is it?' Bev called through the door.

'It's me, Pisces.'

The locks clicked and the door opened. Bev stood in her dressing gown. I looked straight past her to Antony. He stood by the stairs with a gun aimed at my chest. As soon as our gaze met, he lowered it. Bev pulled me into the house and shut the door.

'Are you okay, love?'

I nodded, not taking my eyes away from Antony as he stared at me.

'I thought I was dreaming,' Derek said from the balcony above. I glanced up as Antony shook his head and looked away. Derek wore a pair of pants and nothing else. He also held a gun.

'I'm fine. Father and the boys were fighting with Nick. He told me to come here.'

Bev pushed me into Father's library and sat me down in one of the chairs. Antony and Derek came in behind us but stayed back.

'Is he okay?' Bev asked, pouring herself a stiff drink. When she offered me one, I shook my head. Alcohol wasn't what I needed.

'He seemed to be doing well before I left. The police were on their way. Hopefully they broke it up.' I glanced at the two brothers.

'Should we go and find him?' Derek scratched his stomach.

I looked away from him. He was a fit young man but he wasn't my type. Antony wore jeans and a T-shirt.

'No, I have orders. We're to stay here. Don't answer the door to anyone until he gets in contact,' Antony said. 'We're safe. Bev, I think you should go back to bed. You too, Derek. I'll get Pisces settled and then keep watch.'

Bev came over and put her arms around me. It was what I needed. Alcohol could never give me the reassurance that a hug could. She stroked my head as she left and Derek followed her.

'Night, bruv,' I heard him mutter as he patted Antony on the shoulder.

I sat in silence as Antony checked the front door and came back into the room. He sat behind Father's desk. I tried not to smile. He still put something between us but it no longer hurt. I understood. I had no idea how but something clicked inside me.

'Why did you run away?' Antony gripped the edge of the desk.

'Same reason you did,' I replied.

I forced my muscles to relax as he stiffened.

'Fair play.' He smiled and my heart pounded. It had been a long time since I had seen his dimples.

'Did you come back by choice?'

Lowering my head, I stared at my hands. A few short hours ago, I had told Nick that I didn't want anything to do with my mission or Antony. I had been prepared to let him keep us apart. Did I tell Antony?

'Be honest with me.'

I looked up and tried to smile. When our eyes met, something overtook me. My body started to shake and the shock of what had happened set in. He leant forward but didn't get up.

'Tell me,' he said quietly.

My head shook and I blinked, trying to stop the tears that blurred my sight. 'I was going to go with Nick because—'