Chapter Fifteen

Rough hands grabbed me, jolting me awake. My body bounced. It took me a moment to realise I was being carried over someone's shoulder. As I tensed my muscles, I opened my eyes.

'Will you relax? You're going to live a happy life with Daniel.' Nick's muffled voice came through the bag over my head. I could hear the sound of his footsteps on the concrete steps.

'Where are you taking me?' I spluttered when the rough canvas sucked into my mouth.

My body shifted. I wasn't expecting the sudden change of position. Pain shot through my legs when I landed hard on my feet. The bag was ripped off my head, which made me cringe. I was standing in the middle of a kitchen.

'Why put a bag over my head to carry me up a flight of steps?'

Nick grinned as he backed away from me. 'I've been carrying you for ten minutes.'

He must have taken me to another house. My muscles shook as I looked around. Someone had put my coat on me. How had I stayed asleep?

'I put a slight sedative in your food,' he said as I frowned at him.

'Where's Daniel?'

'Hi, honey, I'm home,' Daniel called, coming into the kitchen with a towel wrapped around his waist. He dripped water on the floor and for some reason it irritated me. I gritted my teeth and glared at Nick.

'What's going on?'

'You might think I'm cruel but I can't just keep you locked up in a basement for the rest of your life. You'll live here with Daniel and play housewife. You won't be able to leave but you can have free rein of the house.'

'I'll go to work like a good husband,' Daniel said, smiling broadly at Nick.

I clenched my fists at my side. They had kept me locked up for a week. I had managed to deflect Daniel's more probing advances. At first I had been prepared to try and get him on side but any gentle questioning had led me to realise that he would never betray Nick.

'Am I supposed to be grateful?'

The edge of my threshold loomed. I needed to keep my cool. If I could have free rein of the house, maybe I could escape. Or I could get someone's attention through a window or something. A quick glance confirmed that the glass was blacked out.

A noise above made us look up at the ceiling. Nick's cheeks flashed red. I wondered what was happening. He ran out of the room, shouting at Daniel to take me down to the basement.

'Come on,' Daniel said.

It was my chance. I wasn't going to miss the opportunity to escape. Whatever was going on upstairs, it was the perfect distraction. I could at least try to get out of this mess. My mind had only just stayed sane for the last week. A part of me wanted to die, rather than spend another day cuddled up with Daniel.

'No chance,' I said under my breath as he came forward.

Reaching out to him, I pretended I was going to welcome him into my arms. I placed my hands on his shoulders and kneed him in the groin as hard as I could. His towel fell to the floor and he went with it.

'Pisces...?'

The shout from above had me running towards the door. The muffled voice wasn't recognisable but I could tell it wasn't Nick.

'Down here!' I screamed, running through the kitchen door and up the stairs.

I heard a grunt as I came to the top. Down the hall, Aries had rushed forward and pinned Nick to the wall.