Chapter Eighteen: Promises

Five years later

Peter sat on the living room floor hugging Sapphire. "It's ok sis..." "I want daddy and papa!!!" "I know... I know.." Peter spoke softly into his 10 year old sister's ear, brushing her hair like papa would.
There had been a mission, and 13 year old Peter had listened about it on the news. It was bad. Tony had taken a hit to protect Steve, and it landed him half dead. He was wounded beyond measure. Sapphire had burst into tears and fell to the floor when she saw it happen. Steve had rushed to Tony's side, but was then being dragged off by something. There was a scream off the camera, and then their papa was dumped onto the ground next to Tony.
Peter held Sapphire closer as tears trickled down his cheeks. The TV was off and they were alone. 'You promised me papa... You promised me you and dad wouldn't leave...' Peter then broke a sob and let his tears out. They didn't know if Steve and Tony were alive or dead. It was hard to say.
The elevator dinged and Peter turned around. His eyes widened and he pushed Sapphire under the couch. It was one of the alien things that his parents had fought on TV. "Don't. Move." He whispered to Sapphire and followed the alien in secret. He was lead to Tony's lab, and the alien morphed into his dad. "All access." He said, in a voice just like his father's. Peter looked by his feet to see one of Tony's blasters that wasn't finished. He grabbed it and pointed it at the Alien. He let it hit the alien, which turned to normal and narrowed its eyes at Peter. Peter took off into a sprint, with the alien following.
He ran into the kitchen and picked up a pot and smacked the alien's head. The alien picked Peter up and smashed Peter through a wall, which lead to the living room. Peter groaned at the pain in his back and coughed at the dust in the room. The alien grabbed Peter, only to be hit by a shield. "Papa!" Sapphire cried and got out from under the couch. Steve pushes Sapphire behind him and Tony and glared at the alien. "You messed with the wrong family." Peter smiled and kicked the alien in the eye, and then was dropped. He rushed behind his parents, who finished off the alien.
Peter and Sapphire hugged Steve and Tony, who hugged them back. "I- I thought you weren't coming back." Peter choked out and looked at Steve. Steve smiled and kissed his cheek. "Oh Peter.... Remember that promise I made to you years ago? That your father and I would come home? I had to keep that promise. I needed to come home to my wonderful children." "Besides, I wasn't hurt that bad." Tony chuckled and held the crying Sapphire. Peter burst into tears and hugged them tightly. "I love you!" "We love you too Peter."

Author's note: Finally! I've been getting a bit behind and I'm sorry this chapter is short. But I promise the next one will be better. Also, I have another story called 'Second Chance' about baby avengers growing up. It'll have pairings as well :3. I thank everyone for reading and enjoy.