Chapter 9:

I look away from the computer for a second and see that there's mail on the front table by the big oak door. 

"Peeta! The report came!" He comes in from the kitchen and hands me a letter opener out of the drawer. 

"This says all three of them had a similar pschycological problem. Things like what happened to us are actually really common side effects of this kind of mental illness." He reads off the official document. 

"So are they staying in prison?" I ask nervously, crossing my arms over my chest.

"No. They're going to an institution in District 3. It's like a theraputical resort center." Peeta explains.

I steady myself and settle down onto the couch in the living room. 

our apartment is amazing, and having all the extra time with Peeta the past few days has been great. 

"I hope they get better eventually." I say hopefully. "Gale really was my friend." 

"But with Cato and Clove gone, you can finally go hunting in peace." Peeta says.

"I wonder what's going to happen to Glimmer now?" I ponder. "I mean, Marvel's dead. Cato and Clove are in the crazy house. It's not like she can be the Careers all on her own. Maybe she'll just give it up."

"Or maybe she'll find new people and continue to terrorize the Seam." Peeta sighs.

"My mother and Prim are moving closer to the edge of town. With me gone, she didn't think it was safe enough to live there anymore." I say 

"And we only have three weeks left before graduation." Peeta smiles. 

"And I still have to pass math." I breathe heavily.

"I can help you." He suggests.

"Peeta, that never works." 

"Why not?" He asks, offendedly.

"Because!" I laugh. "Everytime you try and tutor me we end up half naked on the floor."

He grins a little bit. "Right." he recalls, probably imagining it. 

"How about....." He looks toward the celing, deep in thought. "I'll stay in the other room until you finish your work. I can be your reward." 

"Your so weird." I smirk. "How am I supposed to concentrate when all I can think about is you waiting up for me?" 

"It's called self control." He smiles again. 

"Well, then I have none." 

He kisses me once and starts to walk away.

"Too bad."

.

***

.

The next day at school the stares are so awkward they're almost painful.

Some people are whispering about Gale, Clove and Cato; others about me and Peeta.

Even our study hall teacher asked us if we were okay.

At graduation practice during free period, they were explaining what to wear underneath the gown, what time to be there, and how to walk in and out of the auditorium. 

Peeta looks at me from the back of the crowd and I read his face as to mean get me out of here.

I nod in agreement and let a small laugh slip silently from my lips. 

The teacher in front of me clears his throat to get my attention and I face forward shamefully. 

I had to walk back home alone- Peeta had to stop by the bakery, and god forrbid his mother feel any sympathy toward me. I mean, I was in that situation too.

Hazelle came up to me when I was passing through the town sqaure, pleading for me to forgive her.

"Hazelle, you didn't do anything wrong. Gale will be okay. This wasn't his fault." I assure her.

She looks at me greatfully. "Thank you." She swoons, slinging her bag over her shoulder and heading back toward the Seam. 

A few more people approach me before I make it back to the apartment building. 

The doorman asks me how I'm feeling as well and I wave him off politely, heading up the stairs to our floor. 

Peeta comes back later and then we go back down to the police station to make our formal statements. 

After the news of the mental illness, we've decided not to press charges. 

As long as we know it wasn't totally their doing, we felt guilty sending them off to prison. 

If it wasn't for the sickness, they probably wouldn't have done it to begin with. 

After we dropped the charges, the court ordered that the three will stay in rehab as long as necessary with a minimal county  detention center sentence. No more than two weeks.

Although I'm still traumatized by the events, I'm glad they're getting the help they need.

I think, despite my hostile nature, that I've always had that twinge of affection toward the well being of others. 

Peeta says it makes me beautiful, but I know he's lying- I'm not beautiful.

I hope things for Peeta and I will get better soon. 

After high school, Peeta and I will take a year off for ourselves. Then I'll go to college while he runs the bakery. 

Maybe some day he'll be able to manipulate me into marrying him. 

But he should know by now that I'm not having kids- it's unnegotiable.

I'm glad that we got out of that mess when we did.

If we hadn't, who knows if both of us would have made it out alive in the end.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.

.