Chapter 11:

"Peeta, do you remember how we met?" I smirk and hold closer to him. 

He smles back devilishly. "Of course. How could I ever forget?"

***

"Are you sure you really want to go, Katniss?" 

"Yes, Gale." I repeat. "When's the last time I ever did anything fun?"

He sighs and leans back in his chair. "Fine. But don't say I didn't warn you. This is a senior party. Things get pretty crazy sometimes."

"One freshman won't ruin all the fun." I joke, grabbing my wallet and standing up to face his massive frame. 

Gale had a growth spurt and just hit six feet tall. 

It's pathetic how small I am next to him. 

But he's my best friend, and he got into one of the biggest parties of the year. 

Gale looks reluctant, but eventually we head out the front door and start to make our way towards the town square. 

"Please don't get drunk." He says as we start to hear the roaring music in the distance. "I promised your mother I would look after you."

"Come on, Gale. What's the point of a party if you're going to be my father." I realize what I just said and we both get a little bit quiet.

"Just be careful, Catnip."

***

The party is lame and I promise you I'm going deaf. 

Gale went to go get me a soda but got bombarded with a bunch of older girls who graduated last year. 

Everyone seems to be laughing with a group of friends or dancing on a table and taking their top off, but that's not really my style. 

I'm about to go grab Gale by the collar and make him take me home when something catches my eye.

Ashy blond hair, golden eyelashes, crystal blue eyes, strong arms, muscular chest.

Talking with a super tan guy by the fireplace. 

He looks bored, yet stunning at the same time. 

His friend looks like he's telling some you-had-to-be-there epic tale with garish hand gestures and a sickly sweet grin, but the blond boy doesn't seem to care.

Just then, he looks in my direction and I avert my eyes as quickly as possible, nearly knocking over a crystal ash tray sitting on the coffee table behind me.

I point my gaze downward and stare intently at the shine of my phone screen.

"Hey." I hold in a gasp and see that the blond boy has come up by my side.

"H-hi." I try not to do something stupid and compose myself.

"I'm Peeta."

"Katniss." He smiles.

"That's a pretty name."

I smile back. "Thanks." I try not to grin too brightly.

He leans up against the wall and puts his cup down on the table. "I recognize you from school."  He goes to my school? "Your in my grade."

"I guess I am." I try to say calmly. 

"I was afraid I was going to be the only freshman here." He chuckles.

"Me too."

"How'd you get in?" He asks.

"My friend, Gale. He's a junior."

His eyes go dull for a second. "Are you dating him?" He asks out of nowhere.

I shake my head. "Hell no, he's practically my brother."

Peeta laughs. "Hey," He looks down a little nervously for a second. "Do you wanna get out of here?" 

I bite my lip. "Sure." I grab his drink, chug it down in one gulp and slam the cup back down on the table, smirking at him. 

I grab his hand and pull him behind me and up the stairs. 

***

I throw my top on the ground and wrap my arms around Peeta's neck. 

What am I doing?

Peeta does the same and puts his hands gently on my waist. 

He kisses me and I kiss him back hungrily.

I've never kissed anyone before.

He grips the top of my pants and starts to shimmy them down and moves his lips to my jawline. 

I giggle softly and he gazes at me passionately. 

***

"Katniss? Katniss are you up here?" 

I hold a finger to my lips and smile at Peeta, pulling the covers up higher over us. 

"Who is it?" Peeta whispers to me.

"It's Gale."

Peeta looks a little bit conflicted. "Why is he looking for you?"

"He told my mom he would have me home by midnight." I turn my phone on. "It's twelve fifteen."

Peeta takes my hand in his and looks at me. "Do you have to go?" 

I put my lips on his once, softly. "I don't want to, but yes." 

I trace the back of my hand down his cheek and just gaze into his eyes. 

"When will I see you again?" He asks longingly.

Grabbing a stack of post-it notes, I scribble my number down and place it on the counter. "Tomorrow." I say. "After school. We'll spend the day together."

He nods. "Perfect." 

"Goodnight, Peeta." I leave one last kiss on his nose and pull my shirt over my head, reaching for the doorknob and my entrance back into the real world.

"Goodnight, Katniss." 

***

"I was so sad when I thought you were dating Gale." Peeta says and I wince a little.

I look down slightly. "Can we not talk about it?" 

He nods, and instead flips me over and grins down at me.

"I'm sure there's plenty of other things we can do." He winks and burries his lips in my neck.