Chapter 5:

we spend a while kissing in our private room and i decide to head home.

"i gotta go home, Peeta. its late, and Prim's still really upset. you can walk me back." i say gathering my things.

"...fine. just be careful, okay. they're probably after you, the careers. dont get into any more trouble. please?" he asks pleadingly.

"fine. i promise i'll try...." i say kissing his nose and smiling.

i get into my neighborhood and a few people are whispering and staring at me. i glare at some of them and others i just ignore and hold on tighter to Peeta. "why are they looking at me!" i whisper to him.

"well, you killed Marvel earlier." he says biting his lip.

"i guess so..." i say frowning and stepping onto my doorstep and kissing Peeta goodbye. my mother opens the door before my hand can reach the handle.

"bye, Peeta." she says hinting for him to leave.

"Mrs. Everdeen." he says nodding and walking away quickly. i step inside and my mother slams the door shut angrily. i sit down at the kitchen table and she frowns at me.

"two people! you killed two people! Katniss Marie Everdeen! what were you thinking!" she screams at me.

"i was thinking they killed Rue and were about 2 seconds away from killing me!....wait 2 people?" i ask suspiciously.

"yes! Glimmer got 16 wasp stings and it killed her Katniss!" she shouts.

"Glimmer is dead?" i ask. she nods, frustrated.

"the police will probably show up and arrest you for this! what will you do then!" she yells in my face.

"tell the truth that it was totally self defense!" i retort.

we hear a knock on the door- more like a harsh banging- and i race into my room as fast as i can.

i grab my phone and txt Peeta. "i think the cops are at my house!".

"Mrs. Everdeen, is your daughter here?" i hear a deep voice ask my mother.

"well... Prim's out at her friends house..she died earlier today...." she says covering for me. thank you mom!

"yes. we're well aware of that. and no. i mean your other daughter, Katniss." the voice says sternly.

i hear my mother gulp and i can tell she's nervous.

"Katniss? what would you want with Katniss?" she asks calmly. please buy in! please buy in!

"shes a prime suspect in two murders. we need to take her in. we have a warrant for her arrest." he says.

all the sudden i get a text from Peeta. i slip under my bed to hide and read the message. "on my way 2 the back of ur house. ill save u. we can hideout in the secret room." yes!!! thank you so much Peeta! "kk!" i text back.

"oh. Katniss has been here studying since she got home from school. when was this?" she asks collectedly.

"does Katniss walk home?" he asks.

"usually yes. but some gang was harrassing her, so ive been driving her back and forth. i drove her home today, and she hasnt left the house since." my mother says worriedly.

"gang?" he asks.

"yes... the Careers as they call themselves. they harrass this entire neighborhood. they're criminals." my mom says.

"yeah. files show both victims were gang members. apparently the Careers have been commiting alot of crimes. somehow we can never seem to catch them, its like they dissapear after every hit. do you have any details on that?" he says.

"well. Katniss and her best friend like to sit and talk in the woods alot. but they gave her death threats, her and her boyfriend both. like they thought they owned the woods or something. thats why ive been driving her to and from school." she says slowly. i hope theyre buying all of this.

"boyfriend?" he asks suspiciously. damn damn damn damn damn! dont rat out Peeta mom! hes innocent! itll get to his mother and she'll never let me see him again.

"yes?" my mother says catiously.

"and who would that be." he asks.

"why? trust me hes a nice boy, he would never do anything. dont get him involved in this!" my mom pleads. thank you mom!

"who. is. her. boyfriend." he asks.

"...........Peeta Mellark........" she admits.

"where is this boy from." he asks.

"the rich part of town." she says sadly.

"what do his parents do?" he asks her.

"run the bakery......" she says with guilt.

"oh. they dont seem like the criminal type. theyre like the richest people in town." he says waving it off. "now please! is Katniss here?" he demands.

"well yes. shes been in her room studying all day...." she says nervously.

"thank you Mrs. Everdeen." he says. i hear loud footsteps getting closer and closer and closer by the second. my heart is racing and i think its popping out of my chest. im trying not to break down in tears and im hoping Peeta gets here before the cop gets to my door.

"Katniss!"

HAHAHA WILL THE PERSON WHO SAID KATNISS! WILL IT BE PEETA OR THE POLICE MAN? MWAHAHAHAHAHA ONLY I KNOW THE ANSWER!!!! ILL CONTINUE SOON I PROMISE!!!!!!!

-BROADWAYBABY18 <3 YA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!