2| Venomous Tentacula

"Ten points from Slytherin and Gryffindor!" I heard Professor McGonagall's voice roar as we turned into the corridor. "How dare the both of you . . . and in front of the first years! You should be ashamed of yourselves!"

"I bet you five galleons it's Draco and Potter back at it again," Tracey Davis, the blue-eyed witch, smirked.

"A bet can't be a bet unless both parties are on opposite ends of an argument, and I agree with you on this one," I said. We approached the crowd, eyes squinted as if that would block out the loud sound. Pushing past people, we made it to the front. Tracey was only partially correct. This time, it was Ron and Draco.

I turned to Tracey. "I can drop two galleons from what you owe me," I said. "Please leave three under my pillow when you return to the dormitories."

She scowled. "Oi! You said-"

"But professor!" Ron exclaimed, almost whining. "He's terrible. He has the dirtiest mouth, calling Hermione a mu-"

"I'm sure Miss Granger can speak for herself," McGonagall scowled. "Get to class. I don't want to see the two of you anywhere near each other. And the rest of you . . . why are you still standing here? Go!" The boys scowled at each other. Malfoy turned, walking away.

"Move," he said, an annoyed tone in his voice, pushing past Tracey and I. His right cheekbone was beginning to turn red. So, there had been a fist fight. Why hadn't they used their wands?

"Oh, and Mr. Weasley," she said, calling his as he tried walking away, "I'd suggest you went down to the infirmary and have Madam Pomfrey take a look at you. There's something growing out of your. . ." she gestured to her face. Ron spun around, his face turning beet red, and I started to laugh. His nose was starting to grow longer and longer. Ron pressed his hands over his face, running in the opposite direction.

I turned to the dark haired girl standing next to me. "Tracey, go ahead to class. I have to do something."

She gave me a sly look. "What are you planning?"

"Nothing!" I backed away, innocently. "I'll see you later." I turned, heading down the corridor we just exited. There he was; walking in the direction of the Slytherin dungeons.

"Malfoy," I said, quickening my pace. "Malfoy!" I repeated, which he ignored. "Draco!"

He stopped.

"What?" he asked, turning to face me.

"Are you alright?" I asked him.

"I'm fine."

"Please avoid fights like that. We lose every year because points keep getting cut off."

"You don't need to tell me," he rolled his eyes. "I know." He rubbed his wrist.

"Are you sure you're alright?" I questioned.

"Look, Steele," he said, taking a few strides towards me, until he was only a foot away, "I don't know what you're thinking, but you don't need to act like you care about anything I do. I know you think you may belong here but you don't. Hell, I don't even know what the Sorting Hat was thinking reading your mind!" he sneered. "You'll never be a Slytherin, blood traitor." His silvery eyes turned dark. "Are you that desperate?" I backed away.

"Desperate?" I repeated, confused.

"I know who you are, Steele. And your parents. So you stay away from here. Stay away from me. I don't want anything to do with you."

And with that, he spun on his heel, walking away. I scoffed. He'd been acting weird since this year started. Before, he'd always been a jerk. Now, he was more silent. Calm.