51 | Grindelwald

As the large chandelier came rocketing down towards me, I knew this would be the end. Instead of thinking of all that I'd done, I began to think of all the things I'd never done.

I wouldn't get to tell Tracey I was sorry.

I wouldn't get to save Harry Potter's life a couple more times.

I wouldn't get to see Voldemort die.

My parents would never remember me. No one would.

Except—

Malfoy.

My eyes snapped open. I couldn't die.

Bellatrix screamed, lunging out of the way, and then there was another crack. Small hands gripping my wrist, and one second I was laying in my own blood, the next, I was watching the chandelier come crashing down on the marble floor where I had been moments ago, shattering into millions of small shards of glass. I covered my eyes with my good arm, flecks of glass hitting my skin like tiny needles.

I turned to see a house elf wearing socks and a saggy, used pillowcase, his big blue eyes finding mine. A free elf.

"You are," he lowered his voice to a whisper so that only I could hear, "Elvira Steele?"

I nodded. He glanced down at my arm, rivulets of blood twisting around my hands like thin, scarlet ropes, dripping onto the floor from my fingertips.

"I am Dobby. You are injured."

"I am," I said as his bony hand rested on my shoulder.

In front of us, Bellatrix got to her feet, glass crunching under her boots as she charged towards us, wand outstretched. A burst of green light exploded from her wand, but Dobby snapped his fingers, disarming her.

"How dare you!" she bellowed. Behind her, Draco and Hermione—still me—stood up, small cuts decorating their faces. Pansy and Zabini stood on either side of them, Nott nowhere to be seen. He was probably changing back.

I gasped. Any second now, Hermione and I would change back to our normal selves as well.

"Dobby, we have to get out of here!" I said, and he nodded.

"Of course."

Lucius and Narcissa appeared, Lucius running towards Dobby. Dobby held up a hand, causing Lucius to fly off his feet and slam into the wall.

"You dirty little monkey! You could have killed me!"

I turned to see Bellatrix raging at Dobby. Dobby stood fearlessly across from her, defiance radiating from him. "Dobby meant only to maim or seriously injure, not kill."

"For God's sake, Cissy, you've got a wand! Use it!" Narcissa hesitated. Crack!

Dobby waved his little fist and Narcissa's wand flew from her hand.

"How dare you take a witch's wand. How dare you defy your masters."

"Dobby has no master! Dobby is a free elf, and Dobby has come to save Harry Potter's friends!"

He snapped his fingers once more, the the Sword of Gryffindor zooming towards us. I grabbed the hilt, and Hermione's beaded bag flew into Dobby's fist.

"Give the Dark Lord our regards," I said through gritted teeth, clutching my arm to stop the bleeding. I held onto Dobby's hand, the drawing room beginning to spin. Bellatrix's face twisted into an ugly blur. Her arm rose, dagger in hand. There was a flash of silver.

With a great whoosh, we tumbled onto solid earth. I could hear waves crashing. Stars whirled above me, and I blinked, trying to clear my vision, clutching my arm. Blood seeped through my fingers, and I felt extremely lightheaded.