34| 12 Grimmauld Place

We appeared in the middle of a bustling street, Hermione pulling us out of the way before a bus blew us to smithereens.

"Wh . . . where are we?" I managed to sputter as I recollected my thoughts from the huge jump.

"Tottenham road," Hermione breathed as she bent to catch her breath. Hair a fluttering mess and her dress ruffling in the wind, she grabbed onto Ron and Harry, pulling them into an alleyway. I followed close behind. The streets were dimmed; I could only make out the outlines or their faces.

"What do we do now?" Ron asked. "You zapped us here, but we've come empty-handed-"

"Who do you think I am to bring you all here without preparing?"

We stared at her quizzically as she reached down towards her tiny beaded bag, popping it open.

"Hermione, are you mad-"

Suddenly there was a loud crash, the sound of heavy objects toppling over. Hermione groaned.

"That must be the books."

I stared at the girl in awe. She really was the brightest witch of her age. We peered into the small purse as she stuck her arm in all the way to her shoulder, fishing around. A few moments later, she pulled out three pairs of jeans and a few shirts to change into. =

"Undetectable extension charm," she said. She glanced at me, sheepishly. "I didn't think you'd end up coming with us. You can borrow some of my stuff for now. Sorry."

I nodded, understanding. Yeah. I understood.

"You're amazing, you are," Ron said, wide-eyed.

"Always the tone of surprise," Hermione said with a small smirk.

We quickly changed into casual outfits, when suddenly Hermione looked up, her eyes wide.

"Oh, no," she groaned.

"What?" the three of us asked in unison. I yanked out my wand, scanning our surroundings.

"Your birthday, Harry. I forgot your cake."

"Blimey, Hermione. We're being chased by Death Eaters and all you can think about is my cake?" Harry asked, eyebrows raised. He tucked his wand back, shaking his head.

"But it's your birthday . . ."

"Honestly, we have worse things to worry about."

"He's right," Ron nodded.

Hermione sighed as she grabbed her tiny, weightless purse off the ground. "We've got to go right now. Spending too much time in one location is dangerous."

We set off through busy streets, keeping a low profile and our eyes wide for any signs of distress. We stopped at a small cafe, breathless and wary. I slid in beside Harry, Ron and Hermione taking the seats in front of us.

"How may I help you?" a waitress asked as she approached us.

"I'll have a cappuccino please," Hermione said.

"Me too," I quickly jumped in.

"What she said," Ron eyed Hermione and Harry, who seemed to be grinning slyly.

"Same for me," he said with a small shake of his head.

She left us, and Harry leaned in over the table, dropping his voice to a low whisper. "Voldemort's taken over the Ministry. We have nowhere to go."

"We'll think of something, Harry," Hermione said, her lips pursed in concentration as she thought.

"What about the wedding? Do you think we should go back?"