Chapter 8: Gone, but never forgotten

Jasmine pov

I saw the figure aim the gun at Kiara. I jumped on KIara, knocking her down to the ground at the same time the gun was shot.

*flashback*

May. 2014

My mom was still crying on the way home from the hospital. I drove as she sobbed in the passenger's seat. Parking in the driveway, I got out and walked over to her side. Opening her door, I just stared at her, pain was clear across her face.

"Mom?" My voice cracked. She couldn't even respond. She was shaking her head and began to sob even harder. I sighed and reached over to pick her up. Kicking the door closed, and struggling with the door lock for a minute, we finally reached the inside. I laid her on the couch and she immediately moved to fetal position, clutching the pillow tightly. I headed to the kitchen to have  drink. I can't even imagine the thought of losing the love of my life. The one person who I love so much that it hurts. My heart throbs or my mom. There isn't much I can do to comfort her. It's a love and feeling she needs right now that I can't provide for her.

I just can't believe he is gone. He was my role model, my inspiration, my heart. God, I miss him already. He was taken from me. Ripped from this world before we even had a chance to say goodbye. This angered me so much, I squeezed the life out of my glass, shattering it. I sighed as the glass cut m and I began to see blood. My heart began pounding at my new thought, what if they come for my mom next? I can't lose her as well, she is all I have left. I need to make sure she doesn't go down as well.

Ignoring my slightly bleeding hand, I looked back over to my mom. Her constant crying caused her to fall asleep. She looked so fragile. So vulnerable. Someone so strong, broken down and cracked.  I need to be strong. There is no time to mourn. I have to be strong for mama.

I'm sorry dad. I'm sorry I got myself into this life. I'm sorry I deal and kill people just for flimsy pieces of colored paper. I'm sorry I continuously put myself in danger everyday. Im I risked our lives. I'm sorry. I'm sorry I couldn't help protect this family. I'm just... so sorry. With that, I broke down into my own sobs. Careful to keep my voice low so I don't wake up mama. My chest ached. I didn't stop until I felt my lungs burn with lack of oxygen. I wiped my tears off and sighed again. I need to be strong. I need to protect her with my life. I can't lose her too.

* a week later*

My mom has been locked in her room since that day she found out dad had passed. She wont drink or eat unless I'm basically shoving it down her throat. It hurts me to see her like this. I try to tell her that it will get better, that we need to move on. That just seems to make her cry more. She doesn't want to move on, she just wants dad back. She began to look really sick. Her eyes were red from bawling her eyes out. Her lips began to chap. Her nose was rest from furiously wiping her snot away. Lastly, her eyes had dark bags under eyes.