Chapter 22

Chapter 22

“Blaise... what do I do? When she was Loony Lovegood, no one looked twice at her but now... now she’s a total chick and did you see the guys crowding around her in the Great Hall!?” Draco groaned and buried his face in his hands. He was in his common room which was unusually empty other than him, Blaise and a couple first years playing gobstones in the corner of the room. Everyone’s probably gone to get on Luna’s good side, he thought before his rational side told him he was being a paranoid idiot. Blaise hadn’t said a word throughout Draco’s entire rant and he was beginning to worry that even his best friend had lost interest in his pity problems.

“Blaise?” Draco asked to make sure he was still with him. 

His only response was a grunt. Draco rolled his eyes, “you don’t even care do you? You don’t even care that half the school’s male population is now after the girl I love!”

“Maybe I’m a little more concerned about my own problems at the moment, have you ever thought of that!?” Blaise questioned his voice raising. The first years playing Gobstones quickly collected their things and left.

Draco looked at him surprised, “I-I didn’t know that you were going through stuff... what happened?”

“Nothing happened...” Blaise snapped, turning away from him.

Draco put a hand on his friends shoulder, “Blaise, just tell me what’s wrong.”

“Nothing’s wrong.”

“I know something’s up. Something’s been up ever since that day when you told me you’d miss me and I want to know what. You know you’ll feel ten times better if you tell somebody,” Draco told him.

Blaise sighed, “But I can’t tell anyone Draco... especially not you.”

Draco cocked an eyebrow and looked at Blaise questioningly, “what the bloody hell are you talking about?”

Blaise stood and turned to face him, “I can’t deal with you going on about how much you love Luna anymore! I tried to listen and be a good friend but I can’t, I give up!”

“Dude, is that seriously all that’s eating you up? I can stop talking about her if you want me to.”

“It’s not just that... I want you to stop being with her, stop loving her,” Blaise told him, conflict written all over his face.

“Why don’t you want me to stop loving Luna?” He asked, utterly confused.

“Because I love you!” Blaise blurted out then clamped his mouth shut and turned away, blushing furiously.

Draco stared at him in shock, his mouth hanging open, “you... what!?”

Blaise wouldn’t look in his direction but by the sound of his voice, he was on the threat of tears, “I-I’m in love with you... I’ve been in l-love with you since fourth year.”

Draco couldn’t comprehend what he was saying... all these years Blaise had had a crush on him? But... but they’d changed together, they’d slept in the same room for seven years... they even showered together once or twice after a especially gruelling game of quidditch.

“Y-you’re....”Draco began.

“Gay,” Blaise said his voice barely above a whisper.

Out of all the things that went through Draco’s head at that confession, one stood out most. Blaise and he were supposed to be best friends... so why was he just hearing of this now? Blaise looked at him for the first time since he’d admitted to being gay and Draco saw a few stray tears snake their way down his face.

“Why didn’t you tell me before?” Draco asked him.

He just shrugged, “I-I didn’t know what you’d think... I didn’t want to creep you out and lose you.”

Draco shook his head, “That wouldn’t happen; we’re still best friends and always will be. This doesn’t change that.”

Blaise gave him a small smile, “thanks man that really means a lot.”

Draco wasn’t sure if now was a good time to bring this up but he figured if he didn’t put this out there then it might get Blaise’s hopes up and that was the last thing he wanted to do, “But Blaise... I’m straight.”

Blaise looked disappointed, almost as if a small part of him hoped that if he told Draco that he was gay then Draco would admit it too. He nodded all the same, “I figured... it’s not going to be... awkward between us is it?”

“No, you like guys, I’m cool with that. But Blaise?”

“Yeah?” He asked, looking relieved.

“Try to find someone... try to move on please, because I really don’t want to hurt you but I’m not gay and I never will be,” Draco said, realizing that sounded a little harsh even though he hadn’t meant it to be.

“Yeah... I will...” Blaise said, averting his eyes. He wiped away the few tears that had managed to escape and said, “I’ll...I’ll see you later, I think I’m going to go to my dormitory. I need to think about some stuff.”

Draco nodded understandingly and stood as well. Blaise headed up to his dormitory and Draco made his way to the Ravenclaw common room. Blaise wasn’t the only ones with confessions to make today.