One of Us 4

"A shack on the road?!" "Not ABLE to feed yourself?!" The twins yelled, despite the awkwardness.

Haruhi nodded slowly, a single tear dripping down her cheek.

At that single act, Hikaru and Kaoru couldn't speak. They were so full of pity and understanding that they couldn't do anything but say...

"You could come live with us,"

********

Why did I just say that?

The twins were standing there, feeling numb from the sudden comment they just gave out.

What the hell just possesed me to say that?

Doc and Haruhi were gaping at them, wide eyed and speechless.

"W-what? Absolutley not, thats absurd!" Doc splutered.

They didn't move; only sat there with a suprised look on each ones face.

Haruhi trembled suddenley, causing everyone to look at her.

"See? That comment just upset her. It's time for you both to leave," Doc grabbed them both by their arms and began to drag them out the door.

They were pulled through the whole building until they reached the front desk. Doc released them and pointed to the door. He gave them a look that any other person would give to their dog when it was being disobedient.

The Hitachiins put on fake "Oh, I'm so intimidated right now" faces at him and walked out the door in synch.

Once they were in the main garden of the hospital courtyard, they sat down on a bench and were silent.

"Why... why did we..." Hikaru started, looking at a pretty birdbath placed in a bush of flowers. The birds were flying around, without a care in the world.

Kaoru was looking at one bird in particular. It had a bad wind or something, because whenever it tried to fly, it just flopped back down to the ground and failed.

"I don't know," he answered.

Really, both twins knew why they said it; but they didn't want to admit it to themselves.

Ever since birth, they'd been "alone". With really nobody else to care for them or look after them. There were their parents, but they were always on buisness trips all the time. And even when they did come home-- they didn't love them enough to bother to tell them apart.

They both knew it was mostly their fault for holding back-- but they felt as if the world would reject them if they came out of their shell long enough.

"But... it was an accident... right? We don't want her with us?" Hikaru questioned, looking at his brother. Kaoru nodded hesitantly.

"If you think about it, though... this girl keeps popping up everywhere." Kaoru stated.

"Yeah, and it would be nice... to have a guest," Hikaru mumbled hopefully.

Kaoru smiled at him.

"It would," He agreed.

***

Doc rushed outside, looking around frantically for the two gingers that left earlier. Luckily, they were just sitting in the garden talking.

"Hey you!" He shouted, "Come here!"

Hikaru and Kaoru's heads jerked up simotaniously and they both gave the man a disgusted glare before standing and walking in the opposite direction.