One of Us 12

Hikaru and Kaoru leaned back on the couch and crossed one leg over the other, so on knee was sticking out to the side. Haruhi was amazed about how much alike they were. They were also really different, though. Hikaru was going to be harder to get to know, but his weak spot was Kaoru. Haruhi knew she had to get Kaoru first, and she basically already had. She just had to earn his trust and then show him that she wasn't going to leave him. That's what they both needed.

Haruhi watched the opening of the movie flash on the screen, and she wondered if the twins felt the same way she did. She wondered if they had ever wanted a change.

Maybe they did, but they were just afraid to make one.

That, Haruhi thought, would be the saddest thing of all.

********

Hikaru and Kaoru woke up to the lovley sound of their shrieking alarm clock. It was five thirty in the morning, and neither of them wanted to wake up.

"Kaoru...." Hikaru moaned from the other side of the bed. "Please make it stop..."

Kaoru lazily whacked him upside the head and reached for the snooze button. Both twins were about to doze off again when Haruhi crashed their door open.

"Guys! Get up!" She called, flicking on the lights. Kaoru let out a low groan and dove under the covers again. Hikaru flopped a pillow over his head.

"What are you doing in our room?" Hikaru asked. He was trying to sound angry, but it was too early in the morning, and the pillow over his face was making his voice muffled.

Haruhi shrugged.

"I knew you guys wouldn't get up. I decided to help. You can't be late on the second day." She said cheerfully.

Kaoru threw his pillow at her and groaned again.

"No... We don't want to go back there..." He said groggily, his voice weighed down with sleep. Haruhi sighed and yanked the pillow off of Hikaru's eyes. He simply ignored her and rolled back onto his side.

"I know, but you need to wake up. Please?" Haruhi pleaded. When they didn't answer, she finally gave up and walked out of their room.

Once the twins heard the door click shut, they sat up and yawned. Hikaru rubbed his eyes and slapped his cheek to try to wake up. Kaoru tugged on his bangs and yawned again.

"She didn't have to do that..." Hikaru mumbled.

"Yeah, but somehow she was right. We wouldn't have even gotten up." Kaoru rolled out of bed and shivered when his bare chest made contact with the cold morning air coming through the open window. Hikaru turned around so that his legs dangled off of the side of the bed, but he was still sitting down.

"Yeah, she was right about dinner, too." He agreed, pointing to the clean dinner tray that was still sitting on the bedside table. "We wouldn't have eaten anything."

Kaoru nodded and threw him his uniform to put on.

"Remind me to take it back down to her." He made a mental note in his head. Hikaru slid one arm through his white undershirt and looked at the blazer in disgust.

"Yeah, okay. Are we going to act like last night never happened?" He asked him. Kaoru stopped what he was doing and looked at his brother nervously.

"The movie? It... It wasn't so bad, actually."

Hikaru smiled with relief and continued to dress.

"I thought so too. And what about at school when she would always wait for us after class was over? That was nice if her, too." He slid on his necktie.