Chapter 1 - Why Is Everything About Pokemon?

Dedicated to Pikachick for inspiring me to try out writing fanfiction. Good luck on your future journeys!

Chapter art done by me, with 3D animation software!

***

"Elron! Breakfast is ready!!!"

My eyes jolted open. "Coming!" I yelled as I lay on my bed, freshly awakened by mother's voice. I became animate, jumped into my slippers, and raced downstairs. Skidding to a stop, I looked at today's loot. Cheri berry pancakes, slices of Watmel, and some golden brown hash browns.

"Eh? No meat today?"

"Meat is a luxury for breakfast--if you want it you should get a job and start supporting yourself," mother lectured. Mother had her white apron on and was twirling a ladle between her fingers. I inherited quite a few of my physical features from her: my black, straight hair, my dark black eyes, my scrawny stature, but I got my disinterested looking face from my father. Thanks dad.

The TV was on, and I watched it out of the corner of my eye as I inhaled my food. "Today, Moore, gym leader of Lavaridge town, stepped down from his position, giving it to his granddaughter Flannery."

As usual, the news is dominated by pokemon news.

"That old geezer finally is stepped down huh? About time! I remember facing him when I was a trainer."

"I'm not sure who you're trying to make sound old: you or Moore."

Mom glared at me, and an evil grin spread across her face. "Just for that, you get to make your own lunch and dinner. Have fun!"

Great, now I have to go earn the money to eat. Better see if the lab needs any help today. I sighed, went up to my room, slung my backpack over my shoulders, and started making my way out of the house.

"Oh, and that reminds me Elron, Flora's back from her journey." She giggled. "And I hear she's looking for someone to go with her on her next one."

I stopped, and my face burned up. I had liked Flora for several years, probably ever since I was in school, and mother definitely knew it. It had been about three years since I saw her last, and without many people to talk to in such a small town as Hedgewood, this was an unbearably long time. I tried to act disinterested, but for once my face expressed the proper emotion and my mom winked at me when I looked back at her.

"I-it's not like I'd want to go or anything. That would require becoming a pokemon trainer."

"Mhm, you keep telling yourself that. I'm sure Professor Aspen would give you a pokemon if you asked."

"Not going to happen!" I yelled as I ran out the door, slamming it behind me. Why is it always about pokemon? What did we learn about in school? Pokemon. What are 90% of books about? Pokemon. Heck, what do parents allow their kids to go out into the wilderness with at the young age of ten? Pokemon. Good grief, does anyone ever consider that there are people who don't want anything to do with pokemon? I mean, they're dangerous, noisy, eat a lot, and are all around high maintenance. Does anyone understand my pain?

I almost reached the lab when I heard a familiar voice. My heart skipped a beat.

"Yeah, I'm going to hang around town for a little longer, but since I won't find anyone here to go with me I'm going to head to Fallarbor soon."

Hardly twenty feet away Flora was having a conversation with one of the older villagers. She was taller, and even more beautiful than when I saw her last. She was really growing her silver hair out, as it went halfway down her back, and accented her hazel eyes perfectly. Three pokeballs were fastened to a sash that went around her body from her right shoulder to her left hip. At the top of the sash I could see four pins attached: probably gym badges.