Chapter 8 - Why Is Everything A Competition?

"Are you sure that this is okay, Flora?"

"Positive. It's about time you got some quality time with your father anyways."

My dad wanted some "quality time" with me so it was proposed that Flora and I part ways for just a few days. Dad would fly Flora out to Petalburg, then would come back and spend three days with me. I knew Flora, and because of that I was reluctant to let her go challenge her next gym alone. I knew that she would need moral support if she lost.

When I asked dad if we could do something else some other time he refused.

"You might not understand at this point in your life, but right now I've got to earn some points back with your mother. I've kind of been gone for... how long ago has it been since you were about four?"

Long story short, dad promised that he would train me for the next few days to try to get mom less angry with him. Everyone thought it would a great idea, so I was half forced into it.

"Alright. Call me to tell me how it goes!"

With that, Flora was shipped off to a different town, and I was stuck with my parents.

-----

"Elron, hurry up!" Mom yelled up the stairs to get my attention. "Do you really want to keep an Elite Four member waiting?"

Mom, he's just my dad. He doesn't get any special treatment for his job. It was earlier than I would normally set out, but the food was on the table, so I had no choice but to obey. I got my breakfast and my gear, including an obviously positioned hand-me-down cap placed squarely on my backpack, and then walked towards a location that mother directed me to. Dad was standing out in the middle of a field with... two tables and cooking supplies. What kind of training was he going to put me through?

"Oh good, you're here." He folded an apron and put on one of the tables. "Have a seat."

I took a seat at the opposite table. I was beyond confused.

"Now son, the training that I'm about to give you isn't normal training. In fact it's not even pokemon training!"

Not sure if that's a relief or not.

His face got super serious. "Tell me, you like that Flora girl don't you?"

I could feel my face turn bright red.

"Sure enough, you do. Lucky for you, I've prepared a three day training course for how to deal with women!"

You what?

"Elron, I don't want you to ever have to sleep on a couch because your wife is mad that you never come home even though you send her checks in the mail every month to take care of..." His voice trailed off as he listed excuses to his absence, as if he forgot that he already told me what the reason was.

Aren't you supposed to be some super important person or something?!

He cleared his throat to get my attention again. "Well there are three things that will make a woman fall for you. The ability to do household tasks! Undivided attention! Coolness! Master these three and you can definitely get this Flora girl." He nodded to himself.

I can't believe I'm having this conversation with dad right now... "So I guess you intend for me to impress you with my cooking? If so then why are there two tables?"

He laughed. "Because everything is better as a competition, and for the purposes of today your job is to beat me. Act as if I'm a rival who also wants this girl."