Chapter 24 - ...?

I stood on the pier of Castelia City in Unova. The gentle sea breeze brought with it feelings of freedom, and the random ripples of the ocean brought me comfort.

It had been quite a while since my bout with dad, and I was now twenty years old. The things I had done since then...

I had left Hoenn that very day, and had started my adventure anew. Kanto, Johto, and Sinnoh were the places I went, and each time I travelled to a new region I felt like my journey had just begun.

Every time I would collect the eight gym badges of the region and challenge the Elite Four, but I kept my word from before. Never did I take the seat of champion at any of them.

Sometimes I wondered why this felt so natural to me, but I think that the most likely reason is simply because I could keep moving, never setting my roots down anywhere. It was as if movement itself kept my mind engaged and away from the troubles of my past, and also those of my future. Yes, I knew that I couldn't continue on like this forever. At some point I was going to have to give up my lifestyle and settle down, but not just yet.

I may never appear in the history books for what I do, but I think it's better that way. It means that I can live for my own causes and not interfere with anyone else's.

Apparently I didn't go unnoticed though.

I heard a sneeze behind me, and I nonchalantly turned around, not expecting anything special.

Only a few feet behind me was a girl with bright blue eyes, long, bushy black hair tied up with a ribbon, and a short stature. Her face was bright red and her lip was trembling. She was staring at me.

"Can I help you?" I asked politely.

"U-um, are you Elron?"

"That is my name, yes."

She squealed and ran away.

Since when did my name become an object of fear?! I sighed. Well, can't win them all I guess. My stomach growled. Guess it's snack time. I wonder if they're selling Casteliacones right now.

I walked the streets of the bustling Unova city, completely ignored by the inhabitants. It was sad in a way, actually. Ever since my new journey began I hadn't been getting too much human interaction. I still had my pokemon to accompany me though, so I never felt alone, but I did feel like something was missing.

It took several minutes of walking to reach the ice cream stand. Castelia City was honestly just too big.

I got in the quick moving line and pulled out my wallet. Especially with my lifestyle I tended to end up with a small excess of money.

"One Casteliacone," I said, handing them the money through the window.

They handed back a pristine swirled ice cream cone. There was a reason that these were so popular in this city, and that was they were amazing. This was only the second one that I had so far though, as I only planned to stay in this city for two days.

I heard a whimper behind me as I carried my cone away from the line. I turned around to find the same girl as before.

She was digging in her purse in search of something, but seemed to be struggling to find it.

"If you don't have the money then please get out of line, miss," the slightly irritated worker said.

"O-one second! I'm sure it's here somewhere!"

"Listen. We need to keep this line moving, so either give us the money or get out of line!"

Sure enough, the line was quickly building up behind her.