Chapter 20 - Whose Fault Is It?

"Flora!!!"

My yelling made her voice fill the hallowed halls. My mind raced. Time was running as slow as molasses.

Can I get her out from there? No, Salamence is the only one that can fly and it can't fit down such a small hole. I need to get this resolved as soon as possible, but I surely can't beat the four legendaries before me. I certainly can't run away, especially now that Flora has...

I shook at the thought. She came here because of me. My job, not hers, caused us to take this trip. She was getting hurt and it was my fault.

Aaron looked behind him and saw that Flora was no longer there. His eyes filled with a mixture of sadness and rage, which I'm sure were overflowing from my eyes as well. Suddenly, the little pokemon roared as if in pain and looked me in the eyes. We didn't need to speak to understand each other. It wasn't telepathy, just simple understanding that connected our hearts. I knew what he was feeling, because I was feeling the same way.

Forgot cute, you'll need all your power to save the one you care about.

Aaron glew a bright white and started to change shape. He took the form of Lairon, but only for a brief moment, only to change and grow immediately after. The light around him shattered and Aaron the Aggron was born. Our eyes met and said all that needed to be said.

No way to go but all out huh?

My six pokemon and I turned forward to face our opponents. There was no one else to save us. We were the only seven capable of stopping the monsters from escaping the stone temple.

We've come so far. We've come too far to stop now.

I took a deep breath. The legendaries beckoned us to take the next move, like knights so proud of their own power that they didn't fear losing.

But what can I do? I am but a human.

I took another deep breath and let the weight of the situation sink in. The blood raced through every inch of my body. I was trembled yet standing still, unable to go back.

What can I do? I can give it my all. Beyond any "all" that I've ever given before.

My blood felt like it was boiling. In one last effort at sanity, I tried to purge my feelings by yelling at the top of my lungs. Yet it was no use.

Nothing is going to stop me! Not even my previous limits!

I stared my competition dead on. Only one thing filled my eyes now: determination.

I felt something click in my heart. I knew that all of my pokemon felt the same thing.

Aaron, Bagel, Gyarados, Heracross, Absol, and Manetric all began shining a brilliant rainbow of colors. Light cloaked them and blinded me. An explosion of color filled the scene, then faded in the same instant. My six pokemon were nothing like they were before. They were all bulkier, strong, more magnificent than their usual selves.

Mega evolution, huh? Without stones even.

I pulled out my father's hat of old and put it on, pulling it over my eyes. I couldn't hide the exhilarated grin, despite the tears started streaming down my face.

...

My team and I ran forward. The Regi group took it as a challenge. Electricity shot across the air. The room rapidly gained and lost temperature. The earth shook as the structure fell apart. A white beam flew straight at me from Regice. Aaron stepped between me and the beam and blocked it.