Chapter 13 - How Far Will We Go?

"Hello?"

"Hello, Daron." I breathed heavily into the pokegear's receptor. "We've found something. Something BIG."

"Oh?" Daron stood up from his chair and started walking around his room. On his table, lit almost exclusively by a desk lamp, were papers scattered about. Maps, diagrams, napkins stained with rings of coffee. The scribblings of a madman. "What did you find?"

"Regice," I utter, sending shivers up my spine.

He stopped and stood still. "I see. Can you give me the coordinates that you found it at?"

"W-what do you intend to do?" Surely he wasn't thinking of going head to head with this pokemon, was he?

"I intend to make it help me unlock a certain ruin. Don't worry, it won't get a chance to run amuck and cause problems."

"What do you mean, 'make it help' you?! You do know what you're dealing with right?!"

"Oh yes," he said. His free hand wandered down to his waist, where hidden underneath his suit's jacket were suspended two purple topped pokeballs. He ran his hands over to spots where they created lumps, as if confirming that they were indeed still there. "I definitely know what I'm in for. Thanks for the good work, I'll be sure to have a bonus sent your way. Bye!"

He hung up. A smile twisted into form on his face, and he let out a boisterous laugh. He turned to his table laden with papers, and in one fell swoop wiped them all off. He walked over to a cupboard and pulled out a rolled up sheet. He unrolled the sheet over the wooden surface, right and center under the light. Curling at the edges, it was a floor plan.

"Snowpoint Temple, here I come!" He yelled into the air in excitement and threw his gloved hands in the air. He had finally gotten the preparations complete. He was set on the path the make his dreams come true.

The door to his room swung open, flooding the room with a proper level of light. Standing in the frame was a stoic adventurer, dark skinned from constant tanning, brown haired, and wearing hiking clothes. "Is there something the matter sir?!"

Daron almost jumped from the surprise intrusion, and the floorplan returned to its rolled up form. He regained his composition, clearing his throat. "No, Brandon, nothing is wrong. In fact, everything is right! Get ready to fly to route 105!"

-----

Flora and I sat down on the sand, eagerly awaiting the arrival of my boss. We kept an eye on the entrance of the cave where Regice stirred, but it never ventured out of its dwelling place.

"What's that?" asked Flora, pointing at the sky.

I squinted at the bright sky and spotted a large blue and red bird coming in for a landing. A Braviary? That's kind of rare for these parts. It went straight for us, startling us until we realized that it was carrying people.

The Braviary landed next to us, and its passengers got off. They were Daron and a man who I recognized as Brandon. Daron released the grip on his hat that he had kept to keep it from flying off, and then tipped it to us.

"Good day, isn't it. I presume that's the cave in question over there?"

I nodded my head.

"Alright then, let's go take care of business then."

Brandon retrieved the Braviary and the two of them walked off towards the cave. Daron pulled out a purple pokeball and started throwing it up and down in his hand.

Is he going to try to catch that thing?! He can't be serious.

Flora whispered in my ear. "I don't like the sound of this."