23. Getting Closer

December

"-and then he walked away. Um... that's it..." I shuffled my feet, waiting for Natasha to reply. When she and Clint had returned from their mission, I was surprised to learn that they already heard about what had happened with Jake. I'm pretty sure it was Tony who had spilled the beans, but she neither confirmed, nor denied it.

Natasha had me explain what had happened in my own words, and now she stood stoically in front of me, saying nothing. "Um, Natasha..."

"Come with me." She turned on her heal, heading straight for the elevator.

Oh no, was she about to attack Jake?

"Um, Natasha?" I asked catching up to her. "Where are we going?"

Natasha ignored me and pushed the training level button on the elevator.

"Natasha, please!"

She whirls around on me, her face unreadable. "No Allison, I'm not going to say anything to him."

I let out a big sigh and smiled.

"The reason you couldn't defend yourself was because you were afraid."

The smile falls from my lips.

"Our training just became real."

It wasn't before?

"Consider this day one." She puts a hand on my shoulder. "Whether you believe it or not, I know what it's like to be frightened. I'm going to help you push past that fear and use it to your advantage."

The stories I've heard about the black widow are always about how deadly she was. No one ever spoke of her humanity or kindness. My head tilted as I smiled at her. I enveloped her in a hug and she warmly reciprocated.

"Thank you Natasha!"

She nods, pulling back. "From now on, there will be random Training Tests to get you ready for anything."

My eyes go round and my jaw slack.  "We're gonna... what?"

She continues talking as she leads the way to the virtual room. "On any random day, at any random time, you will be tested. This could mean agents dropping down from the ceiling at you while you cook dinner, to an ambush from one of the team members while you enjoy your morning coffee!"

I shake my head, trying to make sense of what she's saying. It sounded absolutely incredible, but also incredibly scary.

"I'll have them wear these red vests when they attack so you know who's part of the test." Natasha points to a red vest with a giant grey X across the chest hanging on the wall. 

She faces me in the virtual room, her hands on her hips, with a grin. "Next time he, or any other dirtbag come for you, you'll be ready!"

Finally coming to terms with the idea, I nod excitedly. "Alright, I'm in!"

---One Week Later---

"Come on Steve! Our reservation is in thirty minutes!" I shout down the hall of his bedroom level. I loosen the scarf around my neck; feeling way too hot wearing my thick teal coat, dark skinny jeans, and brown leather knee high boots in-doors.

"Sorry, sorry, I got a call from Fury!" Steve says locking his bedroom door and coming toward me. He had on a brown jacket with a grey hoodie underneath, jeans, brown boots, and of course, something covering his head. This time he wore a dark brown knit beanie, which looked amazingly good on him.

My face fell and he laughed. "Don't worry, I'm still free tonight! I just have a mission set for tomorrow."

"Oh, well okay then!" I cheer and pull him onto the elevator.

आप प्रकाशित भागों के अंत तक पहुँच चुके हैं।

⏰ पिछला अद्यतन: Feb 27, 2016 ⏰

नए भागों की सूचना पाने के लिए इस कहानी को अपनी लाइब्रेरी में जोड़ें!

Cooking for the Avengersजहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें