The Nikkah

It was scorching that day. A bright sunny third Friday of June. I had woke up early with mixed feelings.

Anticipation.

Nervousness.

Excitement.

The house was bustling with friends and relatives. The stoves were full of big pots cooking an assortment of desi food for tonight's special dinner. The house was filled with the aroma of spices and chattering of people. I sat in my room trying to control my turbulent heart. My cousin, my best friend smiled into my eyes and took my hands in hers and reassuringly squeezed my hands.

My mother took out my hot pink shalwar kameez from the wardrobe.

"It is time. Go get ready." She said pleasantly.

I stood in front of the bathroom mirror and really looked at myself. Have I grown this old that the day has come? A gush of memories came back – playing video games with my brothers, helping Baba with his computer work, doing kitchen chores with Ammi and holding my baby sister for the first time. Tears filled my eyes and my heart never ceased its erratic beating.

With wobbly feet, I stepped into the bath tub and did the inevitable. Got ready for this day. Once I was ready, multiple female relatives had kissed my forehead whispering amongst each other 'how I looked'. But I was oblivious to all as I was again handed my new fancy abaya to wear and get ready to leave home.

But before leaving my father placed his hand over my head lovingly and asked,

"I need to ask your consent now."

I had nodded and with teary eyes and trembling lips, I had given my consent.

The hour drive went in a flash. The heat radiated from the car windows but the blasting of the air condition had somewhat cooled down the temperatures. I wasn't aware of the heat or the coolness. I looked out the desert mountains that had been present for centuries and wondered what my future held.

We had reached our destination – the Grand Mosque in Makkah. I gazed up at the tall minarets and my lips moved silently praying. Holding my mother's hand, I stepped barefoot in the largest masjid. I had sat down in a corner with all family women sitting around me. Amongst them I could peek at the Kabah – the house of Allah and I prayed "Let this be the right decision, ya Allah. Bless me with happiness in the next phase of my life."

The wait wasn't long soon Takbeer was heard from the group of men sitting just a few feet away. It was announced I was a married woman. I was embraced endless times by friends and family. When finally, I was no longer surrounded by women, my father took my hand and lightly tugged me to follow him. He placed my hand in my husband's. My husband grasped my hand strongly. I wasn't able to look up at him. My eyes were lowered, I was breathing hard and my heart...

When finally I did look up, his smiling hazel brown eyes gave me the comfort and reassurance I needed at that moment in time. His lips had slightly curled upwards. I had blushed and lowered my eyelids again but not before smiling myself.

And then hand in hand, we had performed our first tawaf (circumambulation of the Kaabah seven times) as husband and wife.

That was the start of a new life journey together....

Many of you wanted to know about my wedding day... well this is a brief description of my nikkah day