Piercing the heart

Al-Bukhari and Muslim narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, let him speak good or else keep silent ..."

One of the greatest mistakes mankind does, especially women, is to say words callously of others not realizing how much we are hurting someone. Many of us are unmindful of backbiting, gossiping and slandering which have become a common part of one's conversation. But do we even realize how much we are sinning as we speak ill.

Then comes the form of bullying. We don't realize ridiculing or targeting others, how much it is aching them. The tongue can be sharper than a sword, piercing through the heart. One may get the satisfaction of having the last word and accusing others but do we realize what we are doing? No we don't.

There are times of reflection we need to sit and think over our shortcomings. And in those times, we need to be honest with oneself.

We do mistakes. But deliberately hurting others is malicious.

In today's high-tech world, there are many forms of communication and one is through texting or sharing views online. Words from the mouth or from the pen are same. They are our words. We should watch what we are writing.

This is first and foremost is a reminder for me than anyone else.

Al-Tirmidhi also narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to Mu'adh (may Allah be pleased with him), after teaching him some of the laws of Islam, "Shall I not tell you what is the foundation of all that?" I [Mu'adh] said: "Of course, O Prophet of Allah." He took hold of his tongue and said, "Control this." I said, "O Prophet of Allah, will we be held responsible for what we say with it?" He said, "May your mother be bereft of you, O Mu'adh! Will the people be thrown into Hell on their faces or on their noses for anything other than the harvest of their tongues?" Classed as saheeh by al-Albani.