The etiquette of Dawah

As a Muslim we all have obligation to guide people around us to the Straight Path. Islam is not a private religion but rather encourages community bonding and bringing people forth together as one community (ummah). Likewise, one should conduct Dawah (creating awareness of Islam). However, many times we do not know how to do Dawah.

I am living in a country where Muslims are only 2% of the population. I go to the local mosque regularly where we have training as to how to conduct dawah with Non-Muslims. The biggest element that is important for all of us as Muslims is to be patient (have sabr) and above all be polite.

We are living in times, where international media has tried its best to degrade and tarnish the image of Islam. The religion where a Muslim greets another Muslim with Peace be upon you (Assalam u alaikum) is being said to be a religion that harbours ideology of terrorism and free killing of any Non-Muslims that come across our way.

So what is the perception of non-Muslims about us? It is but natural people who have never interacted with Muslim will get influenced by the media, in addition, people many times research on Islam from sources that are Anti-Islamic that would lead to further reinforce their thinking about Islam being a nasty religion.

How should us Muslims encounter such people? First and foremost, we should not be aggressive and be angry. It is important we control our temper and try our best to be as civil and polite as possible. It is essential that we do not confirm their thinking of us being rude people. We need to remember time and again that when the Prophet Peace be upon had bled in Taif for the sake of Islam why can't we bear some harsh words. In addition, the Prophet never complained when a woman threw trash on him. His soft and gentle tongue is what led many to revert to Islam. This is also indicated in Quran where the verse specifically says it is because of his Prophet's soft spoken nature. We can win people's heart through our gentleness and humbleness.

My dear sisters and brothers in Islam, next time you come across anyone who is anti-Islam and degrading the religion rather than fighting and arguing with the person, reason with him / her. Our job is to only give the message. It is only and only Allah who guides. We cannot force someone our thoughts and concepts of Islam.

May Allah guide those who are astray ameen.

Most of all,

May Allah bless us with patience to be able to deal with such people the way our Prophet (PBUH) had. Ameen.