Just a mother?

It is Mother's Day week in many parts of the world. Why I say week? I am confused myself when is Mother's Day. In some countries I saw on social media it was on Tuesday. In Ireland and United Kingdom it is on Sunday 24th March and then there are others that celebrate in May.

Anyhow, the reason I wanted to write is after baby number three I have taken a career break. The question now I get from everyone...

Random person: So what are you doing?

Me: I am a mother.

Random person: *ways hand in dismissing my reply* Yeah, but what do you plan to do now that the baby is 6 months.

Me: I plan to raise my children for the next year or so. They need my attention at the moment.

Random person: that's no work.

Me: *grit my teeth*

Why are the stay at home mothers ignored of the sheer responsibility they hold? Raising young children is not easy. When all of them are demanding, need you for their beck and call. Then why is it that one job that is not appreciated.

Yes, we know it is stressed upon in our religion.

Yes, we know we love our mothers.

But do we ever understand how much they do? I guess we don't and never will until we are in their shoes.

In a world, where we have become increasingly career-oriented, a woman staying at home with children is frowned upon. Or worse, I have seen cases where she is seen as the dumb woman. Think for a moment, how selfless is this woman who has stopped everything for the sake of her children.

We need to remember when Allah has blessed us with children, He has given us the responsibility to raise them in every aspect. Believe me, feeding, bathing and making them do their homework is just the easy bit. The most difficult is to mould them into responsible human beings and a practising Muslim. That is more than full time.

No job is as underpaid and devalued as the mother.

And no job is as tough as a mother's. 

-----------------------

A question - how many of you are stay at home Moms and face the same situation?