The Tongue

The first ten days of Ramadan have passed by and soon we are approaching the mid of Ramadan. How committed have we been in this month? Were we able to meet our daily goals that we set?

Worshipping is an essential part of Ramadan where we should pray on time, pray extra salah and also read the Quran as much as possible as after all it is the month when Quran was revealed to the Prophet Muhammad (Peace be Upon Him).

But there are also other forms of worshipping we should ponder upon when we are in this month. As I mentioned earlier, trying our best not to waste time. Time is an essential asset. It cannot be reversed. Likewise, the words said from the mouth cannot be taken back.

We should refrain from saying words that would hurt others. It is very important we should watch our tongue as it will drag us to hell fire.

Al-Tirmidhi also narrated that the Prophet (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said to Mu'adh (may Allah be pleased with him), after teaching him some of the laws of Islam, "Shall I not tell you what is the foundation of all that?" I [Mu'adh] said: "Of course, O Prophet of Allah." He took hold of his tongue and said, "Control this." I said, "O Prophet of Allah, will we be held responsible for what we say with it?" He said, "May your mother be bereft of you, O Mu'adh! Will the people be thrown into Hell on their faces or on their noses for anything other than the harvest of their tongues?" Classed as saheeh by al-Albani.

Hurting others with our vicious words is a form of sin whether we are backbiting, slandering, lying or much more. When we are unable to say anything good it is best we keep quiet.

Al-Bukhari and Muslim narrated from Abu Hurayrah (may Allah be pleased with him) that the Messenger of Allah (peace and blessings of Allah be upon him) said: "Whoever believes in Allah and the Last Day, let him speak good or else keep silent ..."

Another important aspect we should remember is that every word uttered from our lips is being recorded and we should be watchful of these words.

'Not a word does he (or she) utter but there is a watcher by him ready (to record it).' [Quran 50:18].

In fasting, it is important that we not only refrain from food and drinking but also from uttering horrid from our tongue. Rather let's keep quiet if something displeases us and inshaa Allah this habit will remain after Ramadan.

May Allah help us control our tongues. Ameen.