Ramadan for young mothers

In a young woman's life, motherhood is an essential part. The pains of pregnancy, the patience of breastfeeding and enduring the constant tantrums of young demanding children is challenging. Ramadan for a young mother is not easy at all.

The big Islamic scholars have stated that pregnant women and breastfeeding mothers are obliged to fast, however, if they fear their health or the baby's health may be affected then they are allowed not to fast as they are in the category of 'sick' which the Quran explains as:

"and whoever is ill or on a journey, the same number [of days which one did not observe Sawm (fasts) must be made up] from other days"

[al-Baqarah 2:185]

Therefore, the pregnant women or breastfeeding mothers may not fast during this Ramadan but they have to make up their fasts after they are healthy enough to do so.

Many young women feel guilty they are unable to fast during this holy month due to their motherhood. But as a young woman, there are many other ways to worship in Ramadan.

1. Read Quran as much as possible – this may be difficult with young children. We need to remember Allah gives us the burden as much as we can bear. Allah is closer to us than our jugular vein, He knows our circumstances and is the Most Merciful.

2. Pray Taraweeh – whether at home or in masjid. This would also help in reciting the Quran.

3. Do sadaqah – give charity as much as possible in this month when good deeds rewards are multiplied.

4. Have intentions to please Allah – the most important act of worship perhaps for a young mother would be to take care of her children. Children are an amanah (Trust) blessed to us from Allah. He has given us the responsibility to take care of them. If we have the intention while taking care of our children that we are doing it for the sake of pleasing Allah, indeed inshaa Allah we will be rewarded.

My dear sisters in Islam, there is no need to feel bad when we are not able to fast or do other acts of worship due to our motherhood. Allah knows us more than we can imagine, He loves us more than our mothers but this doesn't mean we become lazy. He is the All-Seer and All-Hearer.

Let us be motivated to worship in this month. As for children, let taking care of them become an act to please Allah.