One

Kate Marshall

Sixteen years ago

"Steven, don't you dare!"

He wiggled a worm over my head and I screamed. I want to run away but he has my wrist in a firm grasp.

"Toughen up," he told me. "To go to primary school, you have to be tough."

"I am tough!"

A football came flying out of no where and knocked my older brother hard in the head. He let go of me as he reached up to rub his sore head.

"Oops! Sorry, Steven."

I looked at Niall and behind Steven's back he silently motioned for me to run away.

I shrieked as I zoomed off as fast as my legs would carry me.

"You little..." Steven grumbled at Niall as he ran after me.

"Run faster!" Niall yelled, giggling like crazy as we sped around the yard to the other side of the house.

I climbed up the ladder to the top level of our play set. Exhausted, I plopped down on the floor and leaned against the wooden walls.

Niall joined me and we both caught our breath.

"Hi, Katie." He gave a toothy grin.

"I've told you a hundred times, don't call me Katie. It's Kate."

"I know but I like Katie." He blushed and quickly spoke again. "I like the name Katie."

"Well cut it out."

"Fine."

"Is Steven still coming after us?" I whispered.

"I hope not."

"Well check!"

"No way! He'll beat me up!"

"You're a boy," I countered.

"So is your brother. And he's nine."

"Just look!"

"Fine."

Niall went cautiously but he finally looked out above the short wall of the play set. He let out a sigh of relief.

"We're safe." He sat back down beside me. The green, blue, and yellow of the tarp roof shaded us from the intense afternoon sun. The place is like our own castle.

"Thanks for hitting him for me."

"That was an accident."

"Really? It looked like..." I trailed off, getting embarrassed by my assumption.

He stared at me with his massive blue eyes. "Okay, just don't tell anyone."

I laughed at him. "Deal." But after thinking for a minute I changed my mind. "Wait, why?"

"Cause you're a girl."

"So?"

"My friends make fun of me," Niall said.

"Why?"

"They say you're my girlfriend. Which is gross."

"That's dumb."

"I know! You're not like a girl."

"What's that supposed to mean?" I crossed my arms.

"Cause I like coming over and playing with you!" Niall defended. "Most girls stink."