Eighteen

Kate Marshall

The sun was coming through the slit between the thick hotel curtains. I had a good stretch and started looking forward to having a cup of coffee. Good morning, Cardiff!

The sun is shining, I'm not nervous, it's going to be an incredible show, and I'm going to really prove myself on this tour.

Okay, that's a bit of an attempt at delusion.

But I need to keep telling myself positive things. Tonight will go well. The show will go well.

I had just made it to the bathroom sink when my phone started buzzing. Oh, it's my mum.

"Hello," I answered, trying to hide the sleepiness in my voice.

"Dear! So glad I got a hold of you. Good luck tonight!"

"Thank you! I appreciate it." I truly do appreciate that my parents are working to come around to my choice to follow this dream instead of uni. My dad is taking a little more effort but it just matters that he's trying.

"How are you feeling?"

"A little nervous," I fibbed. I'm a lot nervous. But I want to be seen as confident, especially to the person who spent a year dying to say, I told you so.

"Well your father and I have a surprise for you. We're coming to your show tomorrow night! So get all those nerves out tonight! I'm kidding. But we just couldn't wait until you came to Ireland, that's not for a month. So we're catching a flight tomorrow morning." I listened to her as my nerves intensified. "Well say something! Aren't you excited?"

"Y-yes!" I struggled to get the word out. "Can't wait. Thank you!"

"We are just so excited, sweetheart. I know we were pretty childish in the beginning and I truly am sorry. I should never have doubted you. I mean, you're performing at Millennium Stadium for heaven's sake! Even your father has been talking about it all week. He's not as good at apologizing but I promise you he's excited. He's mostly come around."

My mum can just talk and talk with only little hums of approval from the other person to keep her going. Especially today too because her extra chipper tone seems to come from a place of guilt.

She finally paused. "Well thank you," I said. "That's great, Mum. I'm excited." That's a half truth. I am excited! I am glad they're happy for me! But I wanted to have so much experience under my belt before they watched me.

Tomorrow night? I only have one performance to practice and then they'll be here for the second Cardiff show!

"Oh, and we can't wait to see Niall again! That is just so wonderful that you two are dating." Fuck. "Adorable, really. I mean you were the sweetest of childhood friends. I was so worried after you let Connor go, and you really do love to let the good ones go. But when we visited and learned you're with Niall...wow. I'm just so proud of you! You've got this wonderfully organized and professional life! And nearly all by yourself. I'm just happy for you, that's all."

Shit. Fucking shit. She quit talking so I couldn't stay silent any longer. "Uh...yeah," I said. "I'm glad you're happy for me." I don't know what to say. I didn't think it would matter that much to them that they thought I was dating Niall that night he decided to joke around.

"Well I'll let you go. I'm sure you have all sorts of preparing to do. Love you! See you tomorrow."

"Love you. Bye," I replied.

Crap! Why didn't I tell them Niall and I were never dating? Oh right. Because it would've broken the trust my parents and I are working desperately hard to rebuild.