Six

Kate Marshall

"Hey." I was being shaken by someone. "Wake up. I have to go."

"Huh?"

"I have to go to work so you have to leave."

I started to put the pieces from last night together. He wasn't being rude, just honest. He looked apologetic but he couldn't have a stranger in his apartment all day.

"So you're not quitting?" I asked after remembering his dilemma. I climbed out of bed and started gathering my things.

"I decided I've worked too hard to throw it all away. I'm not going to let other people ruin anything I've worked for."

"I like that. Good for you."

"Good luck with everything," he said. "Thanks for last night, um..."

"It's okay. I honestly don't remember your name either," I said with a laugh.

"Thank God." He laughed with me. "It's Henry."

"Kate," I replied.

"Well thanks, Kate. I needed that." He kind of slapped himself in the face. "Wow, that sounded creepy. I just meant I needed to forget about the stress for awhile. Put everything into perspective, ya know?"

"I understand. Bye, Henry."

I left feeling sleazy but better. Not better like wow, I really needed to get laid. Better like I'm ready to move forward. Maybe I'm past rock bottom.

...

"Kate, we reworked that song last night. Give it a listen."

Jake started playing the track that they added way too much background stuff too. It was like when an awesome song gets a pop mix made of it for radio because God forbid people be forced to listen to something without a pounding base beat.

They looked at me expectantly.

"Just give it the okay and we'll lock it down. Then we can start working on the rest of the tracks."

I thought for a few seconds.

"No."

"You don't like it?"

"No."

"Why the hell not?" Jake asked.

"I love a good easygoing, simple, and catchy song as much as the next person. But that one wasn't meant to be a feel-good summer hit. I want it to be slow and acoustic the way I pitched it."

"Do you realize this is only your second album?" Anne asked. "A sophomore album is so important and we've written and produced hundreds of songs. Which is hundreds more than you have."

"I respect that. I respect you guys so much. But I don't want that song watered down. I want it to be slow and real or not be recorded at all."

They glared at me for a few seconds.

"Maybe. We'll discuss it later. Let's move on for now."

That's a victory in my book.

I don't want to be a bitch but I don't want to be walked all over. I'm trying my best to tread that line and so far I think I'm managing.

After a fairly successful day of writing, I went back to my little apartment. I was feeling full of a thousand thoughts and I wanted to clear my head so I got ready to go on a run.

Connor started calling me. Fuck. I've been having such a good day.

And why should I ruin it now? I ignored the call and right then I went in and deleted his number.