Chapter 39

Lauren's POV

Camila was still asleep beside me this morning, and even though I had things that I should be doing, I didn't want to wake her just yet.

So I grabbed my laptop from the night stand. Once it had powered-on, I quickly went through my normal morning routine. I replied to a few e-mails, checked the weather for today, then logged onto Skype.

Most times either my mom or dad would be online, and I'd say a quick hello. They liked to check-in and see that I was alright but the conversations never lasted long. My parents were always so busy, and I was too. But we made time to see each other even if it was on a computer screen, considering it had been forever since I had been back to Miami. 

And it felt like even longer since we had last spoken.

I missed them.

But given the events of my week, I had tried to avoid them at all costs, while I dealt with the Chris situation.

I'm not usually as easily pressured to cave, but there's no denying that my parents have the ability to see straight through me. They know when something is wrong, so I was afraid that I'd spill everything that Chris had kept a secret if they were to ask.

But now that it all seemed to be over, I thought it'd be safe to talk to them again.

I wasn't expecting them to be online at 5:45 am, which was probably for the best considering Camila was still beside me in bed.

But I signed on anyway. They weren't around but I was surprised to find that my brother was.

I clicked his name, attempting to connect a video call.

I lowered the volume as the obnoxious ringing sounded in my otherwise silent bedroom.

And after a few seconds, he answered. His face appeared, pixelated at first but then he moved until the image of him in his dorm room was clear.

Lauren: Hey. How are you?

He offered a familiar half-smile.

Chris: I'm alright. How are you doing?

Lauren: I'm good. How was your flight?

He had texted to say that he had landed but I hadn't talked to him since.

Chris: Not too bad. I got in around one this morning and I took a cab back to campus.

Lauren: Well, that's good. I'm glad you're back safe.

Chris: Yeah, me too. What are you up to?

I smiled. Looking down at my sleeping girlfriend.

Lauren: Just woke up.

I offered.

Chris: Where's Camila?

I tilted the laptop screen toward the brunette buried beneath the pillow beside me. Her messy hair covering most of her face, and her arm wrapped around my stomach.

My brother softly laughed.

Chris: Poor thing looks exhausted. I guess she had a hard day yesterday.

I quirked an eyebrow.

Lauren: She did?!

Chris: Yeah.

He smirked.

Chris: She had to babysit Jade for hours so I'm sure that wasn't easy.

Lauren: Be nice.