Chapter 50

Camila's POV

"Camila, please tell me," Lauren tugged on the hem of my shirt in attempt to reveal my newly inked skin. I could feel the material brush against the white gauze Jake had placed in temporary protection of it.

"No," I whined, shoving her hand away but it latched on just as quickly as it had left. "I told you. It's for me to know-"

"And for me to find out," she giggled. "That's not fair. You know how impatient I am." Her laughing subsided and she batted her eyelashes at me.

My shoulder was leaning against the door of her jeep, and I nonchalantly outlined her face in the dark.

Her eyes were still bloodshot. I guess days of crying will do that to you but she was still beautiful, and she was still smiling and I hoped to God that it was because of me. That the happiness forcing a different expression other than the devastated one she had been wearing, was because somehow in all of the sad, I could still be that light in the darkness for her.

"Please?" she begged again, tearing me from my thoughts. "I want to know now," she half asked, half demanded.

I shook my head, smirking.

"You'll eventually find out," I teased, knowing that it'd be on display the next time we ended up naked in the throws of passion. Which with the way things were going, hadn't even been a thought of mine. But that doesn't mean I've forgotten what it was like to be with Lauren physically. It seems like a lifetime ago that we were pressed against one another in the classroom with the door barricaded, or with me sitting on her desk in her office, trying to keep quiet. It had been long enough that we'd been without physical contact that the stories Lauren wrote on my skin with her mouth, had faded into memories.

Maybe too long, now that I was thinking about it.

"Fine," she groaned, shoving me playfully. It caught me off guard. "I didn't want to know anyways."

"Yeah, yeah," I said, taking the hint that she was ready to leave when she left a quick kiss against my lips. Still lost in thought, instinct told me to deepen it but before I could, she pulled away and then walked to the other side of the Jeep.

I crawled into the passenger's side, pulled the safety belt across my chest, cautious not to let it put too much pressure on my right hip, and leaned my head back against the seat as the engine roared to life. She quickly put it in gear but not before adjusting the volume of the radio.

Over a thick-bass pop song, she asked, "Where to?"

I shrugged my shoulders, simply happy to be wherever Lauren was.

"So indecisive," she mumbled.

She put the Jeep into drive, pulled out of the parking lot and back onto the street.

Quickly, Lauren's hand had migrated to my thigh and she was rubbing circles against my jeans, and I had drifted in and out of the first stages of sleep. But when the engine died down, I was startled awake. It felt like we had only been driving for minutes, but when I opened my eyes to find that we were in another dark parking lot, not back at Lauren's house like I had assumed we'd be, I realized that we had driven far longer than I thought.

Stretched out for miles out of the front windshield was the beach. I rolled my head against the seat, and found Lauren staring off, with the faint hint of a smile on her face.

"The beach?" I asked, obviously.

She nodded, not offering to speak. I watched her eyes drift across the darkened landscape, and her hand relax against my thigh.