Chapter 43

Lauren's POV

"That's her. That's her!" Ally shouted, slumping down in the passenger seat. I eased up, peering out of the glass, watching a tall brunette walk out of the small diner that sat on the corner of the street.

She stopped at the end of the large window, leaning against the brick wall. Immediately she reached into the pocket of her apron, fumbling for a second before coming back with a single cigarette and a lighter. She placed it between her lips, then against the blackness of the night, a small flame appeared followed by a puff of smoke.

"Seriously?" I asked, my warm breath fogging up the glass.

"Yeah," she responded quickly.

I sighed, studying the stranger's every move. At my expression, Ally asked, "What?"

"Nothing," I shrugged my shoulders. "That's just not what I expected." I watched her long fingers wedge the cigarette between themselves and hang by her waist, while she freed her phone from her pocket with the other hand.

The illumination from the screen lit up her face revealing distinct features that made her look far older than twenty-one. 

"She just doesn't look like Camila's type," I thought to myself. Or at least I thought I had but clearly it was said aloud because Ally responded.

"What exactly is Camila's type?" I felt my cheeks heat up and I glanced over quickly at her. She smiled still peering over my shoulder studying Dinah just as I had been doing.

"I don't know," I admitted. "She looks so-"

"Evil? Bitchy? Terrify-"

I shook my head. "No. Normal." I expelled a heavy breath. "She doesn't look like she's capable of terrorizing anyone."

Ally groaned next to me. "Don't let her fool you," she whispered. "Just because you can't see the horns doesn't mean they're not there."

I softly laughed.

"Now focus Lauren. C'mon. This is a mission and you're getting distracting."

"I'm sorry," I apologized playfully.

"Now are you ready to do this or not?"

"I am," I said quietly, and as I did, it felt like my heart dropped to my feet.

There was a sweeping of numbness that covered my body just thinking that I'd have to actually exit my car and approach her.

It was one thing to plan it secretly in the kitchen at 1am but to be here, hand on the door, not even twenty feet from Dinah. I could feel fear coursing through my veins.

"Don't lose nerve now," Ally whispered, clearly seeing that I was starting to panic. "We went through all of the trouble of sneaking out of the apartment, we can't just go home now. You have to do this Lauren," she said and I nodded my head nervously.

"I know," my voice shook.

"Now remember," Ally coached. "All you're going to do is walk by and see if she notices you. That's it. Don't talk. Don't stop. Just walk by. Okay?"

Ally had planned to stay behind in the car. First to go unnoticed by Camila's ex, but also to watch her reaction in seeing me.

Fingers were crossed, that I'd walk by, Dinah would look up, acknowledging me, but she'd have no reaction. She wouldn't call out my name. Her expression wouldn't change. Nothing would happen.

Because if that's how things played out then Ally's theory would be proven right.

She seems to think that Dinah only knows my name.