The Attack

The hellhound, lucky for us, hasn't found Annabeth and me yet. And trust me, that hellhound was three times bigger than Mrs. O'Leary. If it found us, we might as well be the next monster's doggie treats. It's still sniffing around, though. Yikes.

"Whatever you do, Annabeth," I whisper to her as quietly as I can, "Don't. Make. A sound." She gives me a look that says Wasn't planning on it. I'm not either.

For some strange reason, the hellhound lifts its head and barks loudly, as if calling for a friend. For some even stranger reason, the friend was a spider the size of a SCHOOL BUS. Uh oh, I think to myself.

Annabeth's first reaction; Panic.
My first reaction;  We are so screwed.

Annabeth opens her mouth as if she's going to scream, but I immediately clamp my hand over it.

"Don't make a sound!" I say to her. Oops. Too loud. The hellhound's head twitches up quickly.  The dog looks us directly in the face, growls, and barks.
And it pounces.

It's as if the monsters had an attack plan. The hellhound barks to his "friend" as if saying to split up.  It then focuses on me, bounding straight for me at the speed of your average car. The spider, however, heads straight for Annabeth. And then I realize she left her celestial bronze dagger at home.

My first instinct is to not kill the hellhound. Hellhounds are easy, really. I dodge its attack and head straight for the spider.

Annabeth is frozen in fear. Her pupils are the size of teeny tiny dots. She looks like she's unsure of what to do.

I try to stab the spider with Riptide. It quickly bites the sword and gobbles it up. I'm seriously not joking. It literally just ate Riptide. Oh well, it'll reappear in a few moments, anyway.

As Annabeth turns to run away, the spider shoots a web in her direction, and lands with a THUNK straight on the back of her shirt. The string is starting to lure her backwards.

"Annabeth!" I shout. She only responds with more screaming. If only she didn't have a fear of spiders.

The hellhound has returned now, as if trying to distract me from  Annabeth.

"Don't even try!" I scream at it, and rummage through my pocket. Crap. Riptide is still not back yet.

The last thing I can remember is the hellhound throwing me to the side like a chew toy, and I hit my head hard on the concrete. The last thing I can remember is a long, horrible scream. And then everything went dark.