19~ Roma and Diggs

I sigh deeply as I watch Finn scramble around the forest like a lost child. 

"We lost the trail, didn't we?" I ask.

"Keep looking." Bellamy demands.

"Wandering around aimlessly isn't the way to find your sister." Finn says.

"We should backtrack." Jasper suggests.

"I'm not going back." I say.

"Hey," Roma asks. "where's John?"

"I just saw him a second ago." I say, ripping my knife out of my waist band and pulling it out as protection.

"Spread out." Bellamy commands.

"He couldn't have gotten that far." Finn says.

"They use the trees." I say to everyone. Immediately everyones heads turn upwards towards the treetops.

"We shouldn't have crossed the boundary." Roma says.

Just as Roma mumbles the last word, John's body drops from the tree directly above me. His body landing at my feet.

"Run." I breathe just as I hear feet falling from the trees...Grounders. We all run in one direction. I was ahead of Bellamy for awhile before I felt him grab my hand and trudge me forward with him. I could feel my knees giving way and my feet began tripping over every little stick. 

"Tatum!" Bellamy growled, realizing I was struggling in keeping up with him. 

"Stop. Stop!" Bellamy calls at the people standing nearest us. We all stop.

"What are we gonna do? They keep heading us off!" A guy behind me says, I'm pretty sure his name is Kevin.

"Just keep running!" Someone else calls.

"I can't run much longer." Jasper gasps. I nod my head in agreement, trying to catch my breath.

"I'm not stopping for them!" Diggs yells running forward, away from us. Bellamy growls at Diggs' comment but I just look at him, daring him to make a move...he doesn't.

"Diggs stop!" I yell, but just as the words came out of my mouth, Diggs trips over something invisible to my sight. A spear swings down from the tree and impales Diggs, sticking him to the tree.

I turn my head slowly towards Roma. They had something together...maybe not a relationship but they were...something. Roma's face showed pure panic, she looks back at me before bolting in the opposite direction.

"Roma!" Bellamy calls after her, but he shuts up once I cover his mouth with my hand. I listen closely, the feet noises were getting fainter and fainter.

"Where'd they go?" Finn asks.

"After Roma." I answer. 

I go to move my hand from Bellamy's mouth but I can't help but feel his rough lips on my hand, his hot breath...

I finally rip my hand from his face.

"We need to find Octavia." I say, getting everyone back on track.

"Really? I didn't notice." Kevin sighs sarcastically.

"Do you want to get punched in the face?" I yell, aggression coming out.

"Hey!" Bellamy yells holding me back. "Stop it."

"Bellamy's right," Jasper says. "We don't need to lose focus."

***

"There she is." Kevin sighs as we stop for the first time since we had begun walking.

"Oh god." I mumble as we see Roma speared against a tree.

"They're playing with us." Bellamy says, glancing upwards immediately, looking for Grounders. "She only came because of me." Bellamy glances at Roma.

"They can kill us whenever they want." Finn says.

Realization hits me as I glance around us...Grounders are circling. Dozens of them, running horizontally...distracting us. 

"We'll never be able to take them all." I say as we all form a tight circle, each person facing a different way...a different Grounder. I feel a slight pressure on my right hand and realize that Bellamy has grabbed it, securely.

"Come on!" Bellamy yells, the guilt of Roma's death taking over him. "Why don't you get it over with, huh? We know you're out there!"

"Are you trying to kill us Bellamy?" Jasper panics.

I glance around at the blurry black figures. 

"They're closing in." I gasp, the figures getting larger. "What do we do?"

Bellamy squeezes my hand tightly, never taking his eyes off of the Grounders.

Suddenly a loud blaring horn noise fills my ears.

"What does it mean?" Kevin asks.

"Acid fog." I confirm my fear.

"We have to run." Jasper says.

"There's no time." Bellamy says. He reaches into his backpack and grabs an orange tent. "Come on. Get under." He demands. 

I crawl under the orange tent and lay down on the ground. 

"Hold the edges as close down to the ground as you can." I say.

Everyone grabs an edge of the tent and pushes it into the ground. As much as I tried to hide it, fear was rapidly taking over me. The last time acid fog had come, we had barely survived it. Now, we're in the middle of the woods with only a thin peace of cloth separating us from the yellow cloud of death. 

I glance up at Bellamy and realize he was already watching me.

"It's going to be okay." Bellamy reassures.

"I hope so." I mumble.

***

"How long are we supposed to wait?" Kevin asks after we've been laying under the tent for a good hour. "Will this even work?"

"We'll find out." I mumble.

"No, we won't." Bellamy growls, he grabs the end of the tent and yanks it up.

"Bell-!" I scream, grabbing his arm but I stop mid-sentence when I realize there's no fog. "There's no fog."

"Maybe it was a false alarm." Finn suggests.

I crawl out from under the tent and stand up, brushing the dirt off my clothes. I walk over to Bellamy, who's focus is solely on our surroundings. 

"Bell, you have something in your-" I grab the leaf out of his hair and throw it on the ground. Before I can bring my arm all the way back down to my side, Bellamy grabs it. 

"They're coming back." He says. 

I follow his eyesight and catch a brief glimpse of a black figure running around. "I think he's alone."

"Now can we run? He doesn't see us." Kevin says.

"I'm going after him." Bellamy says.

"And what? Kill him?" Jasper asks.

"No," I say walking forward, steps behind Bellamy. "Catch him." I finish twisting my knife in a circle in my hands with a wide smirk on my face.