31~ Set Fire to the Rain

I sit and stare out at the open forest. My gun lay in my lap, the safety off, ready to shoot anything and everything that walks in my path. I'm on first watch. The moon drips small trinkets of light down on the darkened woods. 

I hear a crumbling of leaves come from behind me as feet hit the ground. My hand, out of instinct, immediately goes for the trigger.

"Hey, hey, hey." Bellamy says, a smirk forming as he raises his hands in surrender. "It's just me."

I lower my gun and sit back down. "You shouldn't sneak up on people like that."

Bellamy rolls his eyes. "You shouldn't be so paranoid."

"It's been two days, Bellamy, and they haven't attacked."

"I know. It's making me crazy." Bellamy replies.

"Jasper thinks he can cook up some more gunpowder." Bellamy says, putting his gun on safety. 

"Why'd you put it on safety?" I ask concerningly.

"They're not coming tonight, Tatum." Bellamy says. "Anyway...If Jasper gets some sulfur, Raven says she can turn them into land mines."

"Did you tell Clarke?" I ask.

"Yeah, I told her earlier."

We sit in silence for a moment.

"Any word from the Ark?" I ask.

"Radio silence." Bellamy answers.

And there it is. That feeling. The feeling that a knife is getting twisted in your heart, as you realize your mother could be dead. 

"Do you think they ran out of air?" I ask.

Bellamy looks at me, his mouth opens slightly, as if he was going to say something, then he closes it. And we sit in silence once again.

"FIRE!" Someone yells.

"Fire?" I look at Bellamy questionably. "I didn't think we were starting the campfire tonight."

"We weren't." Bellamy answers, jumping up and running back into camp. 

I'm immediately at his heels, running back into camp. The orange light that is bouncing off the camp walls, scares me as we turn into camp. 

"This is all your fault!" Murphy screams, shoving Del back. "We told you it was too much wood!" Murphy punches Del in the face. Del falls onto the ground but is almost immediately back up again. 

I turn and glance at the meat house. The meat house is in flames. All of our food, gone.

"Get the hell away from me!" Del yells back at Murphy. 

Bellamy shoves in between them, throwing them backwards. "Hey! Save it for the Grounders!"

"Murphy!" I yell, as I see the revenge in his eyes. "That's enough." I say, grabbing his arm and dragging him backwards. Murphy and I have gotten along to be somewhat of friends. After him taking care of me when I got the virus, I had some odd connection to him. He isn't as bad as everyone makes him out to be. He just is a boy that was in the wrong place at the wrong time.

"What the hell are we going to do now? That was all our food!" Octavia shouts over the loud sizzle of the flames engulfing our food.

"Any idea what happened?" Clarke asks, running up to the scene. 

"Murphy says that Del kept feeding the fire." I say, standing my ground beside Murphy.

"Mostly because I told him not to." Octavia glares at Del.

"And we believe Murphy?" Clarke asks, glaring at him.

"I do." Bellamy and I say simultaneously. 

Clarke looked flabbergasted. She almost had no idea what to say. She obviously didn't expect Bellamy and I to take Murphy's side.  

"We have to hunt." Clarke announces. "Anyone we can spare goes out."

"What about the whole Grounder army out there?" Del asks. 

I glare hard. "We can't defend ourselves if we're starving."

***

"Each group takes someone with a gun, and they're for killing Grounders, not food. We don't have the ammo. Use the spears for hunting. Get what you can. Be back by nightfall. No one stays out after dark." Bellamy announces at the growing group of delinquents lining up to go hunting. 

"Bell.." I mumble grabbing his elbow and pulling him to the side. "If each group takes someone with a gun..we can't be together."

Bellamy's eyes melt a little as he looks into mine. "I know. But we need a skilled gunman in each group. We won't survive without it that way."

"Bell, what if..." I exclaim, tears forming at the brim of my eyes. 

"Nothing is going to happen." Bellamy says, lifting my chin up with his pointer finger. "I'll see you right back here before dark, okay?"

I nod my head, hesitantly. "Don't get yourself killed." I call after him, knowing how much he likes adventure. 

"Right back at ya, babe." Bellamy smiles. "Finn!" Bellamy calls. "I want you to be with Tatum."

Finn nods, jogging over to me, not before Bellamy says something in a hushed voice to Finn.

"Clarke and Myles are with us too." Finn says, finally making it over to me. 

"What did Bellamy say?" I ask, my eyes hardening.

"Nothing." Finn shrugs. 

I give him a 'uh huh' look and walk over to load my gun.

***

Finn walks, crouched over the ground, examining the marks made by, hopefully a boar. Clarke walks cautiously behind me, her gun pointed in all direction while Myles continues to talk her ear off. 

"What is it?" I ask as I see Finn freeze up.

"These tracks." Finn explains. "They're perfect."

I look over his shoulder and see the perfectly carven boar print in the soil. "Too perfect."

Finn looks up in the trees quickly. "We're the ones being hunted."

"I don't see anything." Clarke announces, following Finn's gaze.

I turn my head quickly once I hear Myles' screams. I look over and see an arrow plunged into his leg, another flying into his chest. "Myles!" I yell, lunging forward towards him. Finn grabs my shoulder and yanks me back.

"We need to leave!" Finn says, urgently. 

"Finn." Clarke says. "Run." 

It was too late. Just as I turn to see what Clarke was talking about. A Grounder swings something very large over Finn's head, knocking him out. 

My feet seem to stop working as I stand, frozen, in front of the large Grounder. Before I could reach for me gun, a very large and sharp object hits me upside the head and the last thing I remember is hitting the cold, hard soil of the ground.