Chapter 4

Chippaw's POV

The last thing I remembered was... I grabbed Remi. I leaped across I don't know where, I tore something somewhere and it hurt a lot. I didn't remember anything after that, except Remi's cries and desperate pleas.

"You promised we'd.... play!" Her faint voice called. They got quieter and quieter...

"REMI!!!" I screeched, opening my eyes.
Sighing, I rolled onto my side.

Where was everyone? Am I dead? Where's Remi?! Is she safe?

I quickly got to my paws, frantically looking around.
I survived. But, how? I for sure was a goner.

I saw steep edges, but I could jump across them. Quickly, I hopped up and up.

After getting to the top, where I was, StarClan knows for how long ago.
I could smell Remi's stale scent, about a few days ago. I shuddered.
How long was I sleeping?

I turned back. I wanted to go back, if the others were still alive.

I did turn back. They must still be out there.
Leaping back across, I saw the dead flesh-eaters bodies piled at the bottom of the cliff. I was lucky to survive.

Making the long trip down, I was cautious for any flesh-eaters that were around. There was no way I could fight them off by myself, especially when I don't know their weakness.

I saw Brightcloud, one of our elders. "B-Brightcloud!" I stuttered, shocked that she was alive.

Brightcloud turned to look at me. "He's dead." She whispered.

"Who?" I asked.

"Tigerpounce." She replied, with grief in her voice.

She was crouched over the old tom's body. It started... shuddering. Then I realized what was happening.

"Brightcloud, get away!" I screeched, running over.

Tigerpounce groaned, the tom stood up, his eyes a milky white. Foam was around his lips. Clumps of fur were drifting off his pelt.

Lurching forward, the tom tried to bite Brightcloud, but the she-cat backed away. "Tigerpounce, are you alright?" She asked him.

"Its not Tigerpounce anymore." I explained. "Tigerpounce is gone. This creature will eat you alive!"

Brightcloud shook her head. "N-no... He can change..." She muttered.

I wanted to step in, but Tigerpounce would have bit me.
Brightcloud ran up to Tigerpounce. "I-its me, your friend-" before she could finish her sentence, Tigerpounce had bitten her flank.

Flinching, I turned away. I ran off, I couldn't bear to see more.

****

I reached LightningClan camp, only to see abandoned dens. The warriors' den was already just a pile of brambles. Dead bodies littered the floor. The smell of them made me want to hurl. I recognized a few cats here and there.

But, I saw the nursery. A few whispers and raspy voices were heard. I pricked my ears, wanting to hear more.
I slowly crept up. I heard a kit mew. "H-hello?" I asked.

"Who's there!" A motherly voice replied.
"Its okay. I'm Chippaw, from BreezeClan." I said.

I saw Sorrelwing's head pop out. "Oh. Have you come to help us?"

I nodded. "I came back from the mountains."

"Please come in. My kit won't be able to survive much longer."