Chapter 8

Owlwhisper's POV

It had been six moons. Cometstar has begun the apprentice ceremony for Leafkit, Shadekit, Crowkit, Hailkit, and Rainkit.

"From this day forward, Leafkit, until you earn your warrior name you will be known as Leafpaw. Firefang, you have great hunting skills and you have good fighting techniques, I hope you pass these qualities onto your apprentice."
Leafpaw touched noses with his mentor. Firefang was Firepaw, he earned his warrior name a moon after Chipear became Cometstar's deputy.
I hate Firefang. He took Cinderflight away from me, they're mates now. Also, Cinderpaw is Cinderflight. Also, Moss Fur has been welcomed into the warrior's den also. Remi, Murky, and Pear... Pear has taken the name Pearpaw. He wanted a warrior name, so did Murky. He took the name Murkpaw. Remi didn't want one, that was okay because Nutmeg and Miller didn't want one either.
Redpaw is now Redheart, and Firpaw took the name Firleaf. Hollowpaw hasn't got a medicine cat name yet, but medicine cats take a long time to train. Silver Wing joined the apprentice's den with Frogkit and Yellowkit. They're all paws' now. Amberkit is also Amberpaw now. She's almost finished with her warrior training.
Charpaw is Chartail. He hangs out with Firefang a lot. I think thats it.

So it went on, and on.
Crowkit became Crowpaw, Shadekit, Shadepaw, Hailkit, Hailpaw, and Rainkit, Rainpaw.
Some of them didn't get mentors because they're in LakeClan. I certainly would have liked Shadepaw to be my apprentice. I'd teach him battle moves so much he'd be the bulkiest. He already looks like he has a lot of potential.

Cinderflight licked Firefang's ear. "If we're going down the mountains today, how can we be mates? If we seek new territory, we will be separated. I'll be in BreezeClan and you in LakeClan."

Cometstar padded up to them. "I think you'll have to move Clans. Preferably BreezeClan. It seems Toadstar is an ambitious kind, not a good place to raise new kits."

"Can we be one Clan? It seems stupid to split us all up." Yellowpaw piped up.
Murkpaw nodded. "I'll miss all my denmates."

Cometstar sighed. "I know. But we are supposed to be three Clans, not one, I'm afraid."

"Can it change?" Pearpaw asked.
Chipear interrupted. "No." It was the first time he spoke in moons. "We have always been three Clans, from ancient times. Since Lightningstar, Lakestar, and Breezestar ruled. What would they say if we all clustered together? You may have friendships in other Clans, but you must remain loyal to your own. Its in the Warrior Code."

I agreed. I really didn't like Chipear that much, but he was right. "Its true. The Warrior Code states it, we'd all be disobeying the rules that keep us at peace."
The apprentices grumbled.
"We leave, now. We'll find the others and figure everything out." Cometstar meowed.
Firleaf and Hollowpaw readied the traveling herbs. They were low on supplies, so everyone only got a quarter of what they're supposed to have.
I gulped down my share and raced after everyone. I watched the apprentices whisper to each other then look at their mothers then huddle back to talking. I wonder what they're talking about.

Yellowpaw's POV

"What do you think about this?" Frogpaw asked. I shook my head. "Its wrong. I think we should be one Clan."
Murkpaw agreed with Frogpaw and I.
We talked to the others too. Even Silver Wing.
"But what about Moss Fur? And Hollowpaw?" Silver Wing asked.
"Redheart too. He must think the same." Frogpaw meowed.

"I'll ask." Pearpaw mewed. The tom rushed to each cat and told them about being split up.

A few moments later Pearpaw came back. "Hollowpaw doesn't like it because he'll won't be with Firleaf. Redheart says he likes it the way it is."
"Well..." I said. "Let's ask the newbies."