Chapter 9

Shadepaw's POV

I slowly trotted out of the warriors' den. It was a warm, sunny day. I hoped the flesh-eaters didn't get anywhere near our camp. The new Gathering is today, but I think the other Clans disapprove of us. We still need to go, and if its a fight they want, they'll get one.
I was waiting for Frogpaw to make patrols and all that. Since literally everyone is a warrior, then why do we have apprentice names? I guess Yellowpaw, Murkpaw, Pearpaw and Frogpaw will get their warrior names soon. I've only been apprentice quarter-moon. Usually the older cats take us out hunting, but mostly battle training. Hailpaw and Rainpaw fight together. I'm real proud of my siblings. Rainpaw's fur is always fluffed up, she lets me groom it for her. My fur is always neat, I groom everyday.

"Can you get my back? Its a bit dirty from battle training." Rainpaw mewed. She sat in front of me and laid her back flat. I started licking her fur clean. "There's a scratch here." I said, my mouth full of my sister's fur.
I coughed it out and wiped my tongue clean. "All done. Go and see Hollowpaw." I said.
Rainpaw nodded eagerly. "Maybe he'll let me gather herbs!"

"I bet you a moon of dawn patrols that he'd say no. Remember when you messed up his herb stash? You got the punishment to end all punishments." I joked, prodding her.
Rainpaw rolled her eyes. "Whatever." Then she ran off.

I saw Frogpaw call me over for a battle training session with Yellowpaw and Firefang. Frogpaw seemed bit anxious, his tail swishing every so often. "Ask Hollowpaw for some thyme, cause it seems anxiety is really on your tail." I teased. Frogpaw made a face. Giggling, I followed the cats out of camp.

***

"So, you rear up on your hind-legs like this..." Firefang instructed. He reared up and balanced with his tail. "If you have a tail like Cinderflight's don't try this one."

I did what Firefang did. I wobbled at bit. I swiped the air, but I failed and fell to the ground. Coughing, I spit out some sand. "Fail!" Crowpaw teased.
"I didn't ask for your life story." I growled, cuffing his ear.

Crowpaw rolled his eyes. "Whatever, Shadepaw!"
I licked my ruffled fur and smoothed it. Shaking my head swiftly, a small leaf had drifted to the ground. Confused, I pawed at it. "Strange." I muttered, inspecting it. How did it just fall like that? That was a full grown leaf that wouldn't fall on its own. Glancing up I saw a wood pigeon pecking at the bark.
Food! I swiped at Crowpaw. He gave me a warning look, but I stared up.
The pigeon fluttered off. Stamping my paw and turned and saw it fly into the distance. "We should follow it." I said.

"We haven't finished battle training." Firefang retorted, stepping in front of me. I padded back, annoyed. We could have brought a nice wood pigeon back to camp. Grudging, I returned back to training with the bird still on my mind.

"Let's try a new move. Like the back kick?" Yellowpaw suggested shyly.
Firefang purred and nodded. "Okay. So first the back kick is a surprise move, to get them from behind. You need to position carefully, and need to know what you're doing. Then you quickly lash out with your hind-legs and your weight gets on your front paws."
He demonstrated, letting out a quick forceful kick, and balanced on his front paws. "It takes a few good tries."

I tried it, but clumsily kicked and my front paws couldn't handle my weight. I fell with a thump. I snarled with annoyance. How long will it be so I can do these moves?
Crowpaw had gotten it on the first try. I burned with anger.
Yellowpaw padded up to me. "Remember Shadepaw, your back legs are very strong. You just need to lift them a little when you kick. Also, it's just a fast, clean kick. No need to keep your legs up in the air like you're falling." She instructed.
Taking the advice I tried again. Quickly, I kicked and let my paws do the work. The move was a success.
"Good job! You're ranking up." Yellowpaw praised.
I grinned and we practiced battle moves for a while. I started feeling like a real warrior. That's when I realized: Would I be facing my mother in battle? I know it's stupid but would I have to fight her. If her Clan invades my camp and tries to kill or take Cinderflight's kits and I'm the only one there... And I die at her claws.
I shuddered, not wanting to think about it any longer. Blossompetal wouldn't kill or want to harm us in any way... Right?
I pushed away the thought when we returned to camp. The training made me hungry, and Cinderflight is probably too. I saw the fresh-kill pile. There was a single shrew on the pile. It was so skinny too. Was StarClan making us suffer?
I picked it up and headed toward the nursery. "Cinderflight, are you hungry?" I asked.
The pretty she-cat shook her head. "You should eat." She offered, pushing the prey away.