More than what it seems

"Sing again! Sing more momma! Momma has the voice of an angel!"

Mother gives me a loving smile.

"Sweet of you to say dear, but my singing days are over. My voice no longer has spirit."

Mother looks so sad. What can I do?

"Momma! I have an idea! Teach me to sing!" what an idea! It might make momma happy.

"Hmm... Maybe, but darling, the life of a singer is strict. Practicing everyday, eating right, exercising; your health will be dictated. It's a commitment"

I stare at the floor. Am I willing to do what serious singers have done before me?

Yes I am.
*********
Evalina's eyes, with little strength, opened where she found herself lying on the stairs.

Checking herself, everything seemed to be alright but she was still a little dizzy.

All of this stress really took a toll on her.

Realizing her bag and lantern was off her person, she scoped her surroundings.

The lantern laid at her feet in an upright position. When she touched the metal frame it was still warm.

Haven't been out too long. Thats good. Now where's my bag?

Looking to her right she saw her bag, but the contents that was in it, was sprawled all over the floor.

Matches, shoes, newspaper clippings, earings, the mirror, the knife and the candle were all there.

Strange thought Evalina.

Why bother tossing all of this with no intention of stealing anything?

While putting everything back into the bag, Evalina realized she WAS missing something.

"My locket! Its gone!" she looked everywhere but it was no use.

Why didn't I just wear it? I'm an idiot.

Feeling depressed, Evalina slowly placed the bag onto her back and carefully stood up using the banister for support.

The air was getting much colder and Evalina could see tiny snowflakes beginning to drift down from the ceiling.

Tightening her scarf, Evalina made her way to the right side of the stairs, feeling the immense cold eminating from the door.

When clutching the doors handle her hand began to stick itself onto it, causing a light burning sensation.

Quickly, she removed her hand and placed it in her skirt to open the frozen door.

The winds of winter swirled around Evalina, causing her to quiver from the frigid air.

The hallway has ice and snow stretch across it, like veins.

After letting down her dress for warmth, Evalina ventured through the chilly space that led to a glass corridor.

Some parts of the glass walls were shattered and cracked; letting in all of the snow.

This hole big enough for a person to go through it. Maybe I can.....

Evalina shimmied her way through the sharp opening and finally found herself outside.

"I can go home!"

Evalina was almost overjoyed about her escape.

Almost.

As far as the eye could see snow was piled over everything.

Trees now looked like pale hands reaching from the grave.

The ground was nowhere to be seen.

Not only that, the once black sky now was switched with a grey one and it looked menacing.

A snowstorm? I can't survive this! I'll die in this frozen forest for sure.

A low growl eminated from her stomache.

Oh right! I haven't eaten since..... Yesterday?
I've been here for a day already. Mother and father must be extremely worried. I do hope that they are searching for me.

Another, painful, growl coarsed through her abdomen.

But first food.

Something moved up ahead of her. Whipping her head towards it, she saw a small cottage with smoke climbing through the chimney.

Wanting to get warm, Evalina rushed to the cute little abode.

As she was getting near the home, the smell of stew began to waft through the air as well as the sight of recent footprints in the snow.

Not caring for the prints, Evalina bursted through tge door and was welcomed by the warmth and aroma of the stew which bubbled lightly in a small black cauldron

Bread, cheese, milk, nuts, and fruits were spread out on the table.

China dishes, for one person, with beautiful designs of swans and flowers on it settled at the end of the small dinning table.

Trying to control her urge to scarf everything down, Evalina served herself and had, in her opinion, the best meal she ever consumed.

Finishing the stew over the fire and the chees and the milk, Evalina decided to stuff her bag with the rest of leftovers.

With one final search for a rose, Evalina made her way back to the opera house evading the beginning of the storm.

That Monsieur can not be all that bad if he gave me nourishment. Maybe, there is more under that mask.

Finding nothing, Evalina made her way back to the foyer, suddenly hearing the sound of an organ playing while the winds howled outside.

*********
Comment & vote pweeaase!
😘