Hurry

Evalina wasted no time in trying to find her roses. Every movement was swift and was rushed as she looked thoroughly in every room she could find.

 When she was done ravaging the rooms downstairs, she made her way towards the dressing rooms where performers long ago dressed in their elaborate costumes and practiced. 

All of the rooms were so charred and blackened by the fire, that the some of the rooms floors were unsafe to be on. Evalina had to jump and climb just to find no rose on the other side. 

Something glimmered in a particularly dark room at the end of the hall, catching Evalina's eyes. The glimmering object shined an emerald green, sparkling evermore so as Evalina walked closer to the room. 

There was no door; hardly a frame as she entered. The room was so dark that her lantern seemed to have trouble lighting the room making it harder to see. Despite this, she kept looking a little slower as to make sure she looked in every nook and cranny.

This room is very queer Evalina thought to herself it's more of an office than a dressing room.

Indeed, this was an office. Completed with jade statues of the virgin mary and a mahogany desk with green lampshades. The fireplace behind the desk was marble and had two portraits of gentlemen in business suits over it, looking a bit stuck up as Evalina put it.

With most of the room searched, Evalina had one more corner to comb through. A deep green safe covered in dust made Evalina's heart skip. 

It might be there! 

She had nearly tipped her only source of light as she charged at the safe, not caring about the scratch she gave herself from the desk.

Her hands tried to pry the opening of the safe open but gave no inclination that it was moving. Emotions were starting to form in Evalina's throat as she hit, kicked and swore at the safe. Finally, Evalina gave up resting on the floor next to the fireplace.

silent streams of tears pooled over her eyes. 

"My family must be s-so worried about me. W-what is going to happen to me? I was supposed to be a leading soprano like my mother. I was supposed to surpass her and c-continue a musical tradition. I-I'm g-going to d-die here" 

The silent crying became loud sobbing as Evalina used her hands to cup her face. Her episode lasted what seemed like forever. She cried and cried till her tears began to sting her face. 

Her head began to pulse and her body ached. Her stomach emanated a low growl telling her to fill up or starve. She began eating the leftover meal from the cottage in a slow state, reaching into her bag and eating the food as if it weighed a ton.

Her eyes were searching around the room, looking for nothing yet she did found what she was looking for. 

Under the desk, there was a yellowed piece of parchment sticking out of the crevice in the corner. Realizing what it could be, yet not wanting to be dissapointed, Evalina leaned over and plucked the small ray of hope like an apple.

Cautiously she unfolded the paper to find 2-8-10-5-3 on it in aged ink. Excitement and terror erupted on Evalina's face. This time, she calmly made her way to the safe and twisted the knob.

"2......8.....10.....5....and..3" she whispered. 'click'

relief washed over her as she opened the safe, elated that in fact there was a rose there. Its black petals seemed to gleam in the already dark room