Money over art

As Evalina placed her hand around the flower, an eerie feeling of hate surrounded her. The room began to slowly lit up as if waking from a coma. As the room began to glow, Evalina noticed the shadows of the men in the portraits. Both were shouting at each other, arguing. Evalina did not move and watched stoically as the scene from the past played in front of her.

"HIS opera house! ABSURD!" the small man with the grey hair and a long mustache was waving paper in his hands.

"Andre this is doing nothing for my nerves, he says he wants 20,000 franks every month!" A taller man followed his smaller companion also waving papers in his clenched fist.

"This is no ghost, Firmin! What kind of ghost needs a salary? And his audacity to tell us that La Carlotta is not to have the lead role?" The man called Firmin shook his head from side to side. 

"Andre, all I care about is the well-being of this opera. As long as the money keeps coming in." 

Waves of disgust filled the room, causing the lit image to dim slightly.

"La Carlotta will be the leading lady and Christine shall be the page boy" Andre declared holding up the crinkled papers in his hand as if he was in the middle of victory.

"Yes! The silent role....." The room was now in complete darkness, the images fading into the worn out room it was before.

"Their place was in the office, not the arts" 

The phantom's voice no longer startled Evalina; it ignited a more irritating feeling than fear.

"All they cared about was money. Not the quality of the performances. My music was never meant for that pig Carlotta. She was a disgrace to opera sopranos everywhere and Pianji" He paused remembering the unwanted past encounters.

"He had too much weight on him" Evalina did not say anything as he rambled on. When he noticed her silence, all he did was stare at her. 

In the dark, they sat in silence staring at each other daring the other to speak. Finally, Evalina stood up and slowly walked towards her captor.

She grabbed his hand, shivering from the coldness of them, and placed the rose in them. The closeness made her slightly nervous but she was determined to show both of them that she was strong; even when it would be the end.

All this time, the eyes that burned kept staring at her. Every time she looked at him he felt the pain of the betrayal over again as if it was still fresh. He felt the pain and he felt the desires he had for over 17 years. 

"You have one rose left to collect. Be prepared." He was gone like the sound of a quarter note.

Evalina was crushed. "Another rose!? either kill me or let me go! I'm tired of playing this foolish game!" 

All alone in the managers office she shouted. Her voice echoed throughout the theater and throughout the catacombs undere the opera populaire.

**************

does it suck? let me know!

vote and comment!

peace