Chapter 8- Dan's POV

"Dan, when is your friend coming?" I looked at Kayla, Maggie's daughter, who was sitting on the couch. She was the same age I was and was like a sister to me, despite living a couple hours away. We had practically grown up together when Maggie lived closer to our family. 

"He should be here by now." As if on cue, the doorbell rang. "Oh! That must be him!" I got up to get the door, doing a quick fringe check before opening the door. "Hey Phil!" I smiled, looking at his hands; he was holding some kind of dessert. "Phil! I told you not to bring anything!"

Phil laughed. "My mum told me I couldn't come empty-handed." He nodded towards the Attack on Titan shirt I was wearing- the one he gave me. "Nice shirt, where'd you get it?" he joked. 

I stared into his blue eyes for just a second before responding. "Oh, what? Yeah, a friend gave it to me. He's a pretty cool guy." I said with a wink. "Come on in." I lead him into the kitchen, where I introduced him to my family. "Mum, grandma, Maggie, this is my friend, Phil. He's the one who's been tutoring me." My mum gave him a hug, as did my grandma and Maggie. "Nice to meet you, Phil." Maggie said. "I've heard good things about you." Phil gave me a look that I couldn't quite decipher.

My grandma, however, took the opportunity to say more. "I'm so glad your're in Danny's life! He's been a wreck since his dad left, you know! Maybe he'll straighten out with a nice boy like you around!" Phil just smiled. "Uh, let me take you to meet Kayla!" I said, staging a quick exit. 

"Danny, huh?" Phil laughed. I groaned. "That was my nickname when I was like, five. My grandma loves it though." When we arrived in the living room, I saw Kayla do a double check before running her fingers through her hair. She gave Phil a hug. "Hi! I'm Kayla. Nice to meet you!"

Phil smiled. "I'm Phil. Nice to meet you Kayla." I looked at Phil. "Do you want to go upstairs and watch a movie or something?" Phil nodded. "Yeah, sure." We started upstairs when Kayla grabbed my arm and gave me puppy dog eyes. "Can I come with you guys?"

I shook my head. "Nope." Kayla crossed her arms. "Oh, come on, Dan! You never let me hang out with you and your friends- who are always incredibly attractive." I heard Phil upstairs, yelling at me asking where I went. I laughed at Kayla. "Kayla, you don't have a chance with Phil!"

"Oh! Is this your room?" I heard Phil yell from upstairs. 

"What are you trying to say, Danny-boy?" Kayla asked, using the one nickname I hated most. "Nothing." I said. "Except that Phil is gay, so you wouldn't have a chance." "Oh." She said before walking back to the couch.

When I came into my room, Phil was just standing there. "Woah." He said. The walls of my room was covered in posters: anime, Pokemon, posters from bands, video games. My bookcase was crowded with DVDs of my favorite shows. Phil walked over to my bookcase. "No way! You have the entire first season of Attack on Titan on DVD? I can't find that anywhere!" He turned to me. "I didn't know that you liked any of this!"

I smiled. "Yeah, I'm just about as big of a nerd as you are. I don't let anybody except my mum in my room, ever. None of my friends know I'm into this kind of stuff. When I have friends over, we hang out in the basement." I grabbed the Attack on Titan DVDs. "Do you want to watch?"

Phil smiled and his eyes sparkled. "Yes! Yes! Yes!" He went and sat on my bed. I put in the DVD and we watched the anime and I tried to make sarcastic comments, but Phil shushed me every time. Guess he didn't like people talking during any kind of film. We watched until we were called down to dinner, then came back and watched some more, and this time we included Kayla who was bored out of her mind. 

The day went by way too fast, and before I knew it Phil had to leave. I walked him to the door. "I'll see you at school tomorrow!" I said waving. Phil rewarded me with one of his grins and waved back before driving off.

I walked into the kitchen and took over watching the dishes while my mum, grandma, and Maggie went to watch television. Kayla walked into the kitchen, leaning on the doorway. "Are you two together?" She asked. I nearly dropped the pan I was washing. I turned around to look at her. "Pardon?"

Kayla rolled her eyes. "Don't play dumb with me, Dan. I see the way you looked at Phil. And the way he looked at you. You are so in love."

I gulped. "I am not!"

"You obviously don't know what love is, then"

I pointed to the doorway. "Kayla, get out."

"Aw, don't be ashamed. You guys would be cute. Wait, are you even gay?"

"Kayla, out!"

Kayla giggled and walked out, but not before one last comment. "Danny's in looove!" she said in a sing-song voice. 

I finished washing the dishes, but the entire time I questioned if what I said was true.