Chapter 8

ALAYNA

Silence fills the room for a couple of seconds. I'm thinking of a reason to divert his attention.

"The painting!" I snapped. "Uh... the girl in the painting, she's beautiful. Who is she?" I asked then swallowed hard, praying he won't remember what I had just said.

How can I be so stupid? One doesn't make comments expressing her admiration for such a dangerous person. How can I even say those words so quickly? All I ever want is to know why he is hiding from the world when he has nothing to be ashamed of?

His expression looks annoyed. He stares at me with a questioning look, then takes a deep breath.

"I could fire you right away for being too nosy. You got to be thankful, that information you have won't make you a jobless newbie."

Wow! I exclaim mentally. Am I supposed to thank him then? It was he who made a fuss about it after he just told me that he was still going to fire me. I only protected my rights.

"Yes, and unfortunately, that's me," I retaliate. His sex appeal shouldn't outwit me.

I must admit. I'm enchanted with him. I don't know how or why, since he is so mysterious and he himself is enigmatic. Admittedly, Oliver is also attractive, but this burning force and the intense magnetism are radiating from his cousin.

This man... Damn! I can't help but admire his physique. It's a shame, he doesn't have a good character.

"You are one intriguing woman," he says. "Let's get this done. I can't stand being here for too long."

I clear my throat. "Of course, but this is your home. Could you at least stay until breakfast? I heard from Madam Lennie that we're going to—"

"Could you please stop your machine gun mouth and give this room a piece of silence?" He shuts his eyes briefly then stares back at me dangerously. Clearly, his lack of interaction with people changed him into some caveman.

Calm down, tactless lioness, I remind myself.

"I'm sorry. I know it's none of my business. I'm just curious."

"Curiosity kills the cat, ever heard of that? Now, let's proceed to the signing of the contract."

My lips twitch in guilt. "Of course."

"In the document placed in front of you is a copy of the contract. I want you to read the contents carefully, any questions and objections shall be entertained after you read everything. And try to zip your mouth shut," he adds briskly.

I look down on the folder lying on the table in front of me. I opened the first page, then read the content.

Employment Contract dated this 11th Day of August 2018

Between

Mr. Brandon Katrakis Lucien

Chairman

Grethe and Elga Enterprises

And

Miss Alayna G. Hart

Personal Chef

Miss Alayna Hart shall be employed full-time as a Private Chef to Brandon Andre Lucien, beginning of the 11th Day of September 2018 to the 10th day of August 2020

1. Miss Hart should provide all the information about Annette Teller as a part of this contract, as and where permitted by Law.

2. Miss Hart must complete two (2) years beginning the commencement date to end, as and where allowed by Law.