Chapter 30

ALAYNA

That night, I go to our room to pack and every move of my finger feels so heavy like steel that I can't lift up. I don't want us to part this way, but this what everyone wants for him, and I'm not going to be selfish not to give that.

His wounds are eating his flesh. He needs to be cured. He waited long enough and it could ruin his whole life if he didn't.

I wipe away my tears then finally stands up after setting my things back in my suitcase.

"Alayna?." Brandon knocks on the door and comes in.

"Hey..."

How are you?"

He instantly pulls me to his arms and kisses my temple. "It must be hard for you too.." He touched my face, brushing my cheek with his thumb.

"I am okay with this, and I'm thrilled that you wanted to finally do this," I assure him.. "I will always be here, but as I had said, we wouldn't know what's going to happen. Everything is going to change."

"My feelings for you will never change," he promises. A lone tear rushes on his cheek as he closed his eyes.

I force another smile. "You should have decided to do this a long time ago; you know?"

A soft sob escapes his lips. "It will be torture without you," he whispers.

"That is why you have to heal really fast," I encourage. "I'm looking forward to seeing you without the mask, without the scar and everything."

"But please don't go. Stay at my house. It'd be much easier for me to go. Besides, it's in your contract, remember?" He chuckles.

I laugh softly between tears. "Is this going to be our last night together?"

He does not answer because we both know the answer. He answers me with an embrace, burying his face on my hair. I could hear him weeping so softly-like a child crying soundlessly.

***

The next morning, Cassius finally arrives. He gives Brandon a brief hug then pats his back as if they are longing to hold each other for a long time. It is brief but emotional. They had fought long enough, and they are each other's best friend.

Cassius flashes out a weak smile when he sees me. It was the different side of the Cassius I saw before. He wasn't the Cassius I met at Brandon's house. He had dark circles under his eyes, like shadows-the mark of a sleepless night.

"Hi, Alayna."

"Hey."

"Are you okay? Are you ready?"

"Yes. How about Brandon?"

"I'm safe here. No one knows I'm here except Cassius and Oliver. I asked him not to tell his fiancée, and he understands," Brandon said in a low voice as he stepped next to me. He slid a hand at the small of my back.

"There's another sudden change of plan," Cassius said, guessing he knew everything that was happening. "I was supposed to take back the two girls, but because of what happened, we should be more careful. Oliver's coming here alone in a while to get you, Brandon. He took her fiancée back home last night. You know my brother, and for him, the family's more important."

Brandon agreed with his cousin with a nod. "Listen." He looked into my eyes. "Don't leave Cassius' side until you get home. Do you understand? I already asked for additional security for your safety."

"Don't worry about me. Where is Lydia?"

"Lydia's inside preparing for breakfast. I don't want you to leave an empty stomach," he kissed my forehead. "Why don't we eat first?"

I smiled. "Sure. Cassius, come on in."

"I'm starving. I've been flying back and forth. I just landed Athens, and then I had to fly again."

A smile curved on Brandon's lips. "Yeah, I won't believe you the next time you say that."

Cassius chuckled and held up his hands.

After our breakfast, everything seemed normal. The two cousins spoke with Lydia mostly about their childhood. I knew that Brandon and Cassius are best friends since grade school, but I hadn't seen them spoke without roaring on each other's faces. I had also found out that Lydia was once Oliver and Cassius' nanny as Lennie was Brandon's. It was fun listening to them laughing so carefree until it was time. It was time to finally say goodbye.

"Ready to go Alayna?" Cassius asked as he carried up to my suitcase. He was already at the door with Lydia, but Brandon refused to see me leave because he might change his mind for the last time. He was inside, standing several feet away while watching us from afar.

"Yes. I just need a few more minutes."

I ran to Brandon, throwing my arms around his neck. I sobbed once more, then I finally felt his arms enveloped my body, crushing me, but I didn't mind.

"I know. It's hard to do this, but take care, okay? Promise me that you'll come back healthy, alright?"

"I should be the one saying that," he whispered, almost inaudible. "I'm the one who's leaving."

"I can take care of myself. Oliver and Casey's with me."

He gazed back at me, and his beautiful eyes were bloodshot like mine. I felt him quivering against my arms. "Just go, Alayna. Before I change my mind."

I forced a smile as I wiped his tears with my thumb. I reached for his lips then pressed a kiss, but instead of kissing me back, he took gently took my hand away.

"I love you."

"I know." He kissed my forehead. "Go. Cassius is waiting."

God. This was more painful than breaking up. I turned back, tempting to look back, but I forced my feet to walk away.

"Shall we?" Cassius prompted.

"Are you sure you want to go? We can go later if you want."

"What's the difference?"

"Just imagine how harder it was for him," he said softly.

"I know. You're right. He's the one who's leaving. He's going to be alone." Damn. My tears just couldn't stop. "Lydia, it's a pleasure to meet you. You have a nice home."

"It's my pleasure, my dear. I'm glad you like it here. I wish we could spend more time together." She touched my hand just like when I first met her. "I look forward to seeing you again. Say hi to my sister for me."

I hugged her. "I will. Take care, Lydia."

She stroked my hair affectionately. "Of course, dear. Now, go on. You don't want to be late for your flight." I released her and then continued to walk to the door. I glanced at Brandon's direction once more, but he had already turned his back, walking back into the house as if the world slowed in motion.

I guess this is it.

Goodbye, Brandon.