Chapter 3

ALAYNA

Over the month, everything has gone the same with me and Oliver, and he is still as funny, helpful, and I like being with him. I must've been so lonely if he wasn't in the house, I feel like we can be good friends.

However, I'm busier than ever for the past few days. Oliver has been working long hours in the office and often comes home late. He's still the company's CEO after all. I have almost forgotten.

We have never had many talks since then. On the other hand, Madam Lennie would only come to my station when the food was ready to serve our Master in Oliver's absence.

I'm getting used to my job. I always love making good food and I always dreamt of becoming a professional chef and own a restaurant someday. Well, as an assistant as of the moment, this meant a lot to me than being a food taster. Cooking has been my passion since my dad taught me how to move around the kitchen. He also used to tell me that good food was the way to reach people's hearts. And I believed him. It reached mine as well.

My profession has been my escape to my greatest nightmares. I just wish he was still here to see me and my achievements.

And today is my lucky day because today's lunch is beef stroganoff and this is the dish I'm proud I already perfected. My mentor back in Venice would always praise me whenever I cook it for her. I switch my mp3 music on and set the earphones, then I start cooking.

I finished preparing the meal at eleven-thirty. I take out a bottle of Merlot from the mini wine cellar and place it on the marble island with a wine glass. I pick out a notepad and write a note on it.

"Master, I made you a topping sauce. It's my own recipe. I hope you like it. - Alayna"

I also leave the condiments mill together with it and close the lid. An hour later, Madam Lennie finds me in the kitchen, bringing back empty dishware. I rejoice inside.

"Madam," I greet her with a smile.

"Miss Hart," she says in a tone she is about to reprimand me, and my smile fades. "Master Brandon likes the meal, but he said it's better if you won't leave notes and clear the tray or he'll just throw it. Didn't Sir Oliver tell you not to improvise?"

My mouth parted. She's talking about the condiments as I don't see it on the tray anymore. But what's wrong? The Master likes the meal anyway.

"But Madam, I only did that because—"

She doesn't give me a chance to speak and leaves.

"Thanks, Madam!" I shout to the door, unsure if she even heard me or not.

Of course, I remember the improvisation rule, but I am also a chef. Oliver would always tell me that written recipes are not everything. He entrusted me with the Master's meal, and I know very much that food shall not be taken lightly.

At dinner, I made him Moussaka and served it with a parsley and mint salad and crusty bread. Deliberately, I take out my stick-on notes.

"Master Brandon, I'm glad to hear that you like the food, but those condiments are needed. Also, I added an egg soup. Kalí óreksi!"

Madam Lennie delivers empty dish wares in the kitchen a couple of minutes later, and she disappears. I guess Master didn't complain this time, but then I noticed a note on the pepper mill.

You make good food, Miss Hart, I give you that. But don't put notes everywhere. The adhesives are leaving marks.

Oh my God! Did he just reply?