Chapter 27

ALAYNA

Something doesn't feel right with Brandon after taking Cassius's call. He's abruptly so dejected, and cold when he comes back. What could they have possibly talked about?

Oliver and Betty have already left, and Brandon is still silent. We are now in the bedroom, and he's staring vacantly at the stretched out oceanfront by the window. The view is stunning, but Brandon's mind seems somewhere else.

"Hey..." I call. "What's wrong?"

"Nothing." He turns to face me, takes my hand, then brings it to his lips. "I love you, Alayna," he whispers out of the blue, and pulls me against him, crushing me in his arms. I almost can't breathe.

"Brandon, are you okay?"

"I don't think I told you how I feel about you yet, but I do. I love you, Alayna. Never forget that."

The normal reaction of a person would be delighted by hearing those words. I mean, of course, I'm happy. But why does feel like he's going to disappear? Like a lover saying his goodbye?

"Brandon, can you tell me what's going on with you?" I slightly move away from him so I can see his eyes. "You're making me nervous."

"Why? I can't tell you how I feel?" he says.

"It's not like that, but-"

"I just can't imagine myself without you."

I can't explain the emotion he is giving me, but something is troubling him. I can sense his restlessness.

"Where else will I go?" I say. "I don't think I'm capable of leaving you unless you told me to."

"I won't." He smiles weakly. "Except today with Betty. I will follow after you, but I'm afraid I have to tell you to pack all of your things because we're not going to stay here tonight."

My eyes widen. "What? I thought we will be staying here for a few days, and this place is amazing."

"Yeah, but something came up." He brushes his thumb on my cheek.

"Is this about Cassius? What did he say to you? I heard you speak to him," I ask curiously.

He scowls. "Cassius has nothing to do about this."

I blink. "Is it work?"

He shakes his head and cups my face in his palms. "Don't worry. We can still come back here and I'm taking you to someplace I know you'll like tonight."

I curl my arms around his neck, smiling. "It doesn't matter where you're taking me as long as it's with you. I need to pack my things then."

"Do you need help?"

"Of course."

Honestly still dejected, we get our things ready for tonight, and in the hot spring with Betty this afternoon.

From the very start, I utterly understand how secretive Brandon is. I never fully expected anything from him given his situation, but rather accept everything he can do to make our relationship work.

I don't want to pressure him either to tell me everything. It's his privacy. But I still wish he would learn to open up to me.

Brandon glances at his wristwatch. "We still have time. Come with me."

"Where?"

"Just come." He grabs my hand, entwining my fingers with his.

Brandon ushers me to another stairway in the house I haven't sighted before. It must be because it's narrower and hidden inside a door. I'm guessing it leads to the backside of the house.