Chapter 16

ALAYNA

I never want anyone as much as I desire him. I never wanted to kiss anyone like this in my life. I lean into him so I could taste more of him, but he shifts his face away.

His forehead furrows. "But if I don't send you away, you won't have the life you deserve."

I ignore him and cup the unmasked side of his face, and he doesn't seem to mind. I feel his warmth and the cold, metallic touch beneath my skin. No, he is burning... feverish.

"You couldn't know that."

Brandon shut his eyes as if in pain. He grits his teeth and his face turns bright red. Unexpectedly, he stands and holds his chest; suddenly panting.

"Hey, are you alright—Oh my God!" I exclaim as he brusquely collapses on the floor. I instantly ran to his side. "Brandon, what's wrong?" I try to touch him, but his hand stops me.

I back away, but he grasps my wrist and looks at me instead.

"Alayna," he whispers sorely. "I don't want you to see me like this. I'm sorry, but you have to leave now," he says, forcing himself to speak, his voice croaky.

I touch my mouth, preventing my tears from falling.

"See you, like what? Are you hurt somewhere? Do you need help? I could help you to—"

His grip tightens on my wrist and he shakes his head. "Call Oliver, please..."

"Alright," I nod, panicking. "I... I'm going to call him."

I don't understand what's going on with him anymore. My eyes finally failed me seeing him in this state. Hurriedly, I stand and sprint out of the room and fortunately found Oliver and Cassius outside the door. I trip, almost losing my balance.

Oliver catches me and holds my arm to steady me. "Alayna? What's wrong? What happened?"

"I think he's in pain," I say, still dumbfounded. "I don't know what happened."

"What did you do to him?" Cassius asks, his voice accusing.

I shake my head. "I said, I don't know! I didn't do anything."

"Then tell us the truth. Did you touch him or not?" he questioned again.

"Yes!" I exclaim. "But he allowed me to."

No one dared to answer, but Oliver shut his eyes and squeezed his temple. Cassius mutters a curse. Now, I am utterly confused.

"Ollie, could you check Brandon? My briefcase is still inside. Give him the pill. He needs to sleep first before I give him the medicine," Cassius instructs.

Oliver scowls. "Are you sure? He's been sleeping all day."

"I don't have a choice. Go on, I'm after you." I need a word with Alayna here."

Oliver briefly shots me a glance and eventually nods, he then treads into Brandon's room. We watch him until he's out of sight, then Cassius starts speaking.

"If you'd just told me the truth earlier, this won't happen."

"I don't know what is going on, and no one is telling me anything. How could I possibly tell you of all people, whether I touched him or not? That's supposed to be a private matter," I point, my voice rising.

"Not to me," he answers. Look, it's not my place to stop you, or question whatever Brandon's going to do with his life. But this had occurred before, and I don't want it to happen again. It almost killed him—"

"What do you mean it almost killed him?"

Isn't that too much of an exaggeration? Who could die with a simple touch?