Chapter 20

ALAYNA

I wake up the next day with tender eyes but realizing it is Sunday, I could, however, rest more in my room. I stretch my arms and legs and step out of the bed.

Butterflies fill my stomach as I suddenly remember the steamy kiss I had with Brandon. I touch my lips and smile. I want to see and kiss him again. Last night was perfect. Well, he was perfect.

My thoughts are abruptly interrupted when I hear my phone beep. I sigh and lazily pick it up from the bedside table.

I scowl at the screen. I have four missed calls, and three messages from an unknown number.

I checked the time logs, and the last call was thirty minutes ago. I don't usually answer unsaved phone numbers, but given the fact the caller bombarded my phone, the call must be urgent. Or maybe it was from home.

I try to call back the number.

"Hello?" someone answers right away. It's a man's voice.

"Hello, may I know who's calling?"

"Alayna," I hear him clear his throat, "it's me."

"Who's me—" I pause; the voice sounds quite familiar. "Cassius?"

"Yep," he answers and chuckles. "You left without saying goodbye. How are you?"

"I'm fine," I answer simply. "What's up?"

"Good. I just want to know if you're okay," he says straightforwardly.

"How did you get my number?"

"Hmm," he hums. "I asked Ollie. Apparently, he had to babysit me because I was already getting furious."

"Furious, why?"

God, what am I doing right now? Brandon clearly doesn't want me talking to him.

"Because I'm attracted to someone who's already taken," he confesses and forces a laugh.

I remain silent, unsure of what to say.

"Anyway, I heard it worked," he continues. "Brandon came out of the house officially after a decade. But I'm sorry I ruined it last night. I didn't mean to get in the picture."

What worked? Get in the picture? "Hold on. Don't make me answer a riddle right here."

"I'm not supposed to tell you a patient's condition."

"But it's Brandon.  I know what is going on to him now, so what is holding you back?"

"I wasn't supposed to tell you that before too, but I had to know what went on the last time he had an episode. Anyway, I'm finding a way that could help his condition... help him get better, especially now that we have seen hope. You are his hope."

I shake my head. "I didn't like to be called such a title, Cassius."

"But you are. I knew that when Brandon finds out you're with me, he's going to come out and get you. Fortunately, he positively responded."

"Wait," I interrupt him. "You might not want to tell me what you did, but are you saying you plotted all that?"

"Is that bad?"

"Nothing, I just..." I pause. "Cassius, Brandon came out now because of you while he thought it was Oliver."

He pauses a little. "Uh, yes, but I needed Oliver's help. Brandon didn't want to see me," there's melancholy in his voice.

"But Cassius, even if you do this, Brandon will still—"

"Hate me?" he presses. "I don't mind. I have a debt to pay."