Chapter 14

BRANDON

There are familiar voices, whispers—I can hear them talking about me. One of the voices is Oliver's, and the other someone I don't wish to hear again. I know that voice exactly.

Ah! My doctor. Oliver's younger brother. The other person I used to trust. I haven't heard from him for a while—almost a year. Almost a year since my last episode. It's funny to hear him again. It means I will never get better.

I want to move or open my eyes, but I can't. I also can't speak for myself. Maybe they put those medicines in me again. The one they used to calm me.

"I know. I thought it was an opportunity, Cassius. He finally had a chance to get out of his comfort zone." It's Oliver's voice.

"It is good for him, Ollie, yes. It is a good sign that he can actually let anyone in again. It is only us who are rotating around his world."

"Her name's Alayna. She's amazing. I'm amazed by her actions and strong personality. She's an undeniably talented chef. Brandon told me himself he was intrigued by her. I'll introduce you to her later."

"Ollie, don't engage yourself too much with her," Cassius warns. "Your eyes do not lie. I could see that she's appealing to you."

What? No. No way!

"No, of course. You know me, brother. Besides, you know my current status, which I still haven't mentioned to him."

Status? What is it that he didn't tell me?

Cassius clicks his tongue. "Tell him right away, Ollie. It's not good for Brandon if you are hiding something from him. You know what I mean."

What the—what the hell was that about? Hiding what from me? Damn it.

"He'll understand. He's more understanding than all of us," Oliver states, almost certain. "I'm glad that part of him remains, but I thought his illness is not going to bother him again. I thought he was healed."

"His scars and the injuries, especially the one on his chest, are all healed, Ollie. What he is suffering from isn't in the physical. It's all in his mind. His body remembers the pain. I don't know when it will stop. It depends on him."

"I don't know what happened exactly. Brandon was shouting for help, but he's already unconscious when I found him. It's after Alayna left," Ollie explains. "Do you think something happened?"

Yes, she touched me, and I wanted her to. I thought I was fine. Everything felt right.

"Maybe she touched him," Cassius guesses. "Do you remember what happened last year? It's his last episode and then now."

Ollie hurls out a sigh and silence follows. He speaks again.

"That's also possible," he concludes. "It happened before when you tried to calm him down."

"I know, and it's my fault back then. I'm not going to give up on him, Ollie—even if it takes a lifetime," his voice low and full of guilt. "But thank you for calling me. I'm just worried he might not want to see me again."

"You know Brandon. He would be glad to see you again. You needed to do what you had to."

"How about you?" Cassius asks abruptly. "How are you? You don't come home anymore. Mom was worried. You almost give your whole life this set up—his company, his life, your freedom. When are you going to stop stressing yourself when you can get our help? I can help you, brother. You don't have to tell him. Grethe and Elga Enterprises is already heavy enough to bear. Do you still sleep?"